• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Single" Parent Through API?

AliCatsWife

Wondering if you guys could give us some advice... My husband is prior-enlisted and has been selected for STA-21. He's currently finishing his degree and will be commissioned when he graduates. I have been selected for SNFO and will (hopefully) be heading to OCS in either March or April 2010 (still waiting on my final select, so hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by writing this!). We have a little one who will stay with her daddy while I'm in OCS. Then, when I head to Pensacola, she will come with me but my husband will not be done with school yet. Long story short, I am going to be a quasi-single parent while in API. I have a ton of questions but I'll try to keep it brief with two...

1. What is the daily schedule like at API? E.g. what hours are you usually in class? I need to get some sort of idea so that I know what I need to look for in terms of daycare.

2. During survival training (or at any point) do the hours increase a lot? Will there be nights when I don't come home? (Do I need to look for a nanny?)

Thanks in advance!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Congrats to both of you for SNFO and for the STA-21 selection. I don't have any advice to add for the API part, since I am too far removed from the current syllabus, hopefully some of the current students will chime in on the daily grind and expectations. Best of luck to you both,

John

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/api/api.htm

There's contact info at the bottom if you want to go to the source. I went thru in 07, so this is old, but we usually started at around 7-8 depending on if we were swimming that day, and were done at the absolute latest by 4. Most days we were done by 2:30 or 3.

Ace_Austin

pilot
The hours at API vary on the day/phase of training. For the first few weeks (circa Fall '07) I'd be up and out the door in the area of 0530 to head for the pool. Pool ended around 0700 so we had an hour to get our act together and get some food. Class would start at 0800 and run as Bubba said to 1430-1600ish. Test time comes around and depending on how fast you pick up on it you'll be up for an extra 2-4 hours in the books. Throw in the odds and ends of being a functioning human being and its a pretty full day. Come the survival and chute training it was a shorter sked with nothing to take home. So you got those hours of your life back. All the folks in my class with kids thankfully had a spouse to eyeball them while they were in API. If you have another family member that would be able to take care of the child during API I might look into it. Once you get an idea about your class up date you can send them for a visit. While your in A-Pool you will have ample free time even if you pick up a stash job. Don't raise your hand for one and you might just squeak by mustering once a day. (Sans any Stupid Ensign tricks played by pool members.) If you can get a hold of someone on here who is in it right now or just went through they can give you an idea if much has changed.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I think while you are in API the Base Child Development Center should be a viable option for child care.

What designator has your husband selected into as part of STA-21, or if he started off CORE, what does he hope for, and when will he get commissioned?

Being a single parent should be doable in flight school when it comes to scheduling in most cases (as a SNFO I'm not sure if you have to do night events). You need to let each new command know your situation as soon as you can so they can start working with you (Commands make efforts to work with individuals who have family care plan issues) but there may be times that you need to flex a little bit in the times you can be available (Night events, out and ins etc) to progress through training so have a backup plan that you can activate when you need (Nanny, babysitter etc).

The reality of the situation is that it isn't going to be easy going through training as a single parent but it has been done before.

One thing you and your husband both need do is discuss other longer term issues that will arise from your dual military status. Spousal co location officially isn't an option while either of you are in training (per the instruction you each need to be in your first real command for a year prior to putting it in)... However, you can can start talking about who is going to their duty station first and if the have any say in it, pick a duty station that has sea tour billets for both designators/platforms available to it (this may involve some compromise on both of your parts re: what aviation pipeline you enter as well as whatever pipeline he enters for his designator). The other thing you need to do is start discussing a family care plan option that will work if both of you get deployed at the same time.

Eventually you and your husband will have to have a discussion about your careers and take a look at both of your personal and professional goals. You both may not be able to continue on your respective detailers golden path to command at sea (one of you may have to go back to back sea duty to always have someone on shore duty for the kid after your initial tour).

I know this was more then what you originally asked, but starting to talk about long term issues can save you and your husband (and your commands) a lot of headaches before you encounter them.

Good luck, and remember that people have done it before you so however difficult it gets, you can do it too.

Short

None
You will, in flight school and the FRS both, have night events. You may also have detachments that take you out of the local area for weeks at a time. You will have no notice changes to the schedule, and phone calls in the middle of the night that you need to respond to as a squadron duty officer. You will not know what you are doing the next day more than 24 hours ahead of time once you are in primary. You and your husband may deploy at roughly the same time, or be completely out of phase and barely see eachother over the course of a couple of years.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
The single parents that have come through VT-4 have had some challenges. It certainly can be done, the key is always coordinating with your class advisor immediately upon squadron check-in. We typically had a Human Factors Board on someone who was a single parent so we could make sure the student had the best chance for success. That being said, no one got special treatment. Typically, a student who had their act together already had a plan, answered frank questions honestly, and never played that card.
Don't get spooled up yet, but when the time comes, make sure you use the chain-of-command to inform those who need to know your situation. It's going to be harder on you, allocating study time and time with your child, but it can be done.
Hoze

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
As of 2007, API with kids was no issue. The P'cola and Cory Station CDCs were/are both great and very accommodating. Schedule is pretty much a normal workday.

A others have alluded, flight school will be a different story. The hours are odd and unpredictable ("Every evening I check my e-mail and it's like Flight Sked Roulette.") and the time demand is non-trivial, especially at certain phases. Best of luck.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I do not have much at add as far as API scheduling, though I do hear from my friends in Pensacola that the base daycare has been very accomodating. My husband and I are both pilots, if I can be of any assistance with co-location questions, please ask!

AliCatsWife

Thank you all so much for your responses! What I may do is start looking for a good daycare and look for a part time nanny with flexible hours in the event of overnight training or long hours. It's going to be really hard. It?s still really early to do all of that but I want to be sure that I know the person really, really well so that I know my little one is in good hands when I'm not able to be there.

My husband was also selected for NFO but at this moment in time, we are worried about his ability to pass a flight physical due to a recent ACL injury. Another concern we have is that he should be getting to Pensacola only a few months behind me (depending, of course, on how long we each spend in A-Pool). This could put us on the same sea-shore rotation. There are still so many unknowns that I'm not even sure that's a bridge worth trying to cross yet, but certainly a concern. I know that the couple who has agreed to be our long-term family care plan would be a perfectly safe place for her, but I just hope that we can avoid her ever having to be without both of us at the same time.

If there are any dual military couples with kids out there, I would really love to hear your perspective on all of this.

Again, thank you all so much for your insights!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been an API instructor for the last three years. We've had plenty of actually single parents (other parent not in the picture) come through as students. It can be done, but it's a challenge. Your issue is not so much the working day, which is usually 0600-1600 or thereabouts. It's the ass-ton of studying that is required after hours. You're going to be living in your books, both in API and at the VT's. And I do mean living, as in, not much time for the munchkin. Base child care is an option, though it usually has a pretty long wait list, so get on that early.

Who's going to help you with the kiddo in the evenings? And on those days when you've got an 0500 brief? You really don't want to be the VT student who's permanently sniv'ing "no late nights or early mornings...I have a kid". Once in a while is okay, but not as a regular thing. I strongly recc figuring out a full-time child care plan. Mom, mom-in-law, sister, au pair, whatever. Someone's going to have to be live-in help.

Keep in mind, you and husband are both at the beginning of training. You haven't even classed up at OCS. There's no telling what your schedule will be like for the next year. You could get rolled at OCS, he could get held up for something, and it's not like you check out of OCS one day and start API the next. There's usually several months (6+ at present) wait for API class-up. So get a plan in mind, have a backup plan and backups for your backups, but don't feel like you have to get everything set in stone right now. You don't know what your living situation will be like by the time you need it. We have had married couples in the same class.

Re: once you're both winged and in the Fleet. Usually policy for mil-mil couples with kids is for one to be on sea duty and the other on shore, then switch. So you probably won't have to be on sea duty at the same time. That'll hurt careers, as moving up in the Navy means meeting certain career wickets on time, but it can be done.

Co-location is usually workable...usually. As in, they'll work with you, but reality gets in the way. If one of you is flying Prowlers and the other P-3's, they'll try to get the P-3 bubba a Whidbey squadron (though still going to go through the RAG at Jacksonville). If one of you is a Rhino WSO and the other flies P-3's...well, there's not much they can do. There aren't any places that have both. You'll be living apart until shore duty.

Best bet is for you both to be in the same community, though that has its own challenges and opportunities. Mrs Fester also flies E-2's, which meant we were stationed together in Norfolk, but for the first four years we were married, one or both of us was pretty much always gone. That included one year where she deployed, and then my air wing deployed four months later to relieve hers. Our boats passed in the Red Sea, I took a helo over to her boat, we got to spend an hour together, and that was it. I saw her again four months later. We basically time-shared the house. And finding shore duty together when you're in the same community can be tough, too.

There's nothing easy about being a mil-mil couple, though it has its good points. You're going to have to make some hard choices about family vs. career a lot earlier than couples where only one is in the military. I've known many mil-mil couples, and in every single one of them, one or both got out when their minimum time was up. It's workable for a few years, but very difficult for both to make a run at being career officers (shooting for command, etc), and have any semblance of a home life or quality time together. With a kid? Pretty much impossible. Not trying to discourage, just telling you to be realistic about what you're getting into.

Best of luck to you!