• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Side Honors

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always wondered how you would tell the difference. But since they killed the first planned supercarrier after WWII, I guess we didn't ever have to make that distinction.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I once heard that this is why we could never have a USS United States. Not sure if it's true, but it makes sense.

There was plans for a carrier that was to be named the "USS United States", but the name was scrapped because they didn't want to give an enemy a propaganda victory if she was ever sunk.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was plans for a carrier that was to be named the "USS United States", but the name was scrapped because they didn't want to give an enemy a propaganda victory if she was ever sunk.

Or the fact that the newly formed Air Force had their panties in a wad that the Navy wanted more money for aviation, which many thought should be the Air Force's sole domain. Revolt of the admirals anyone?