• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I even try?

m.sullivan

Hello everyone,
I'm a current sophomore at Johns Hopkins with 52 completed credits and a 3.51 GPA. My biggest issue is that I'm an opera major at the Peabody Institute there, and I'll be graduating with a B.M. My question is, if I can keep up those good grades, get a great ASTB score, and get a great PRT in, would I be competitive enough even to think of applying? It just seems to me that my major is a really heavy con on my overall package.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Hello everyone,
...My biggest issue is that I'm an opera major .....[should I] even think of applying? ..

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Biggest drawback is giving your buddies ammunition for life :D. Callsign is definately going to be related to that. ... other than that, I don't see the major as being that bad, a lot of basketweaving majors that are flying.

usmc_stud

pilot
I believe you need a B.S. or a B.A. to get commissioned. If you get a B.A. in music you're set, otherwise you're not...However, you would definitely have the most unique degree in your unit so best of luck to you!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I've got a BA in Theatre. A good buddy of mine has a BA in Music. We are both 7599s at TBS.

A degree is all that matters.

BUDU

I'm getting a BA in theatre--with a significantly lower GPA (2.8)--and just got pro-rec'd. Definitely go for it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Should you try? Yeah, do your best. If you need help trying, eat lots of fiber and get some reading material.

It took that long for someone to make a BM joke? Sheesh.

Mrs Fester was a Music major, and she's got NFO wings. Unless there's some specific restriction on non-BS/BA degrees (and I don't know of any), you shouldn't have any problems. Navy Air doesn't require rocket surgeons, just willingness to work your ass off. We'll teach you what you need to know.

Absolutely rock the ASTB, though.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Hello everyone, My biggest issue is that I'm an opera major

I was able to find a photo from your last performance. Nice work.

opera-singer.jpg

BourneID

pilot
I was able to find a photo from your last performance. Nice work.

opera-singer.jpg

Is that a skinny version of Jabba the Hut, or was it taken with a special Lens.

In all seriousness one of my prior Pilots was a Music Major as well, it would say if you rock the ASTB, and have a good attitude, you can do it.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I've always heard math and music go together so I just did a quick google search. Seems to be true....

"Research has linked active music making with better language and math ability, improved school grades, better-adjusted social behavior, and improvements in "spatial-temporal reasoning," which is the foundation of engineering and science. "

Engineering and science is what they want...so in a round about way.....I guess they also want music...