• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I cut my hair short? Or keep the length.

Rocky376

I am still waiting to hear back if I’m accepted into OCS but if not I will be in enlisting so either way I still have questions regarding if I should cut my hair to below my ears or if I should leave it lengthy and have to deal with putting it up.
My main concern is having time to put it up and causing damage. I have heard from a couple friends that have already gone to Boot Camp that there were women who had balding spots because of the bun and the gel is super rough on your hair when you have to wear it for so long. This in turn causes a lot of damage so I’m debating on just chopping my hair off before going to Boot Camp or OCS and I wanted to get some perspective on people who have been through this.

I love my hair longer but I also don’t want to cause a lot of damage and would rather chop it off and let it grow after.

exNavyOffRec

I am mostly with Brett on this one, don't enlist if you want to be an officer, there are too many stories of plans going sideways. If you just want to serve due to a not great GPA and would be happy doing your entire enlistment with not getting commissioned, then do what you want.

If you post your info you will get very honest opinions from this site.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you further elaborate on the reasons you say this?
There are lots of other threads about this if you want to dive into the details. Off the top of my head… You’ve earned a degree, put it to use by being an officer. Reapply if you get rejected at first. Enlisted life is very different from that of an officer, and is unpleasant in many ways. Getting a commission is much more difficult to accomplish if you enlist first.

Rocky376

I am mostly with Brett on this one, don't enlist if you want to be an officer, there are too many stories of plans going sideways. If you just want to serve due to a not great GPA and would be happy doing your entire enlistment with not getting commissioned, then do what you want.

If you post your info you will get very honest opinions from this site.
No I did great in college, my gpa is 3.8. I’m mostly wanting the experience and record of serving for my future careers. I have a bachelors in criminal justice and hope to one day work with the government as an agent of sorts doing forensics or crime scene investigations.

exNavyOffRec

No I did great in college, my gpa is 3.8. I’m mostly wanting the experience and record of serving for my future careers. I have a bachelors in criminal justice and hope to one day work with the government as an agent of sorts doing forensics or crime scene investigations.

I hope you are working with a good OR, with a GPA like that I would not recommend you enlist.

What designators did you apply for?

RocksAndWedes

pilot
I chopped my long hair at OCS at about week 3. The barber didn't do such a hot job and the length turned out between a pixie and a mullet. Honestly? Best decision I ever made and wish I would have chopped it sooner. It'll grow back. Your showers will now take less than 5min and you can save time. You won't worry about getting sand in it and it's easier to clean.