• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shore Tour Options for NFO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is way in the future but I was just wondering what are some of the shore tour options for NFO's? I know of Naval Post Graduate School, ROTC instructor, Rag instructor. Anything else? Any trend in where people are sent?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Purdue Jones said:
This is way in the future but I was just wondering what are some of the shore tour options for NFO's? I know of Naval Post Graduate School, ROTC instructor, Rag instructor. Anything else? Any trend in where people are sent?
Pretty much same as any other aviator.

NSAWC
Topgun
Weapons schools
VTs / TRACOMs
Joint stuff
Pentagon
Flag Aide
PEP tour
Various intel gigs
FASO
VX squadrons
NSA
TPS
USNA
OPNAV
NORAD, to name a few

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you rotate to shore duty consider what will follow for you. If you are dead set against staying in, than feather your bed and take a job that will come closest to setting you up for the transition. Shore duty in a large non military town is a nice way to transition and start networking. ROTC and recruting can do that for you. ROTC can get you a grad degree for free or nearly so and you can work through the college career services office. Recruiters can usually find time for school and they make contacts with civilian recruiters regularly. If you think you might stay in the navy your best best is to stay as close to the cockpit and/or your warfae speciality, ie AAW, IW. ASW, etc. That would mean RAG instructor or PEP job or a non flying job in your warfare speciality like NORAD. Then would come other flying jobs like VT instructor. Great jobs that don't necessarily fit this progression are USNA instructor, Flag aides, various joint tours and staff jobs. It would proably be good to avoid a job in the pentagon as a JO on his first shore duty. All those listed above and more are available. Realisticly, you will only have to chose between 2-4 of those options. If you don't have a plan (that is common) then do what sounds fun and let the chips fall where they may.

Thanks for all the info...Showing my experience I am a little confused to what some of those acronyms mean.

Specifically,

NSAWC
PEP
FASO
VX
NSA
TPS
OPNAV
NORAD

(Insert joke here)

Status
Not open for further replies.