• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shore duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiangel

I was wondering about shore duty opportunities in the VP/VQ communities. Aside from the typical flying tours (FRS, advanced, primary IP), what are some of the other options. Also, what kind of shore duty could keep you in the same location as your first fleet tour. I am about to select out of primary and am just trying to do some long term planning.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thinking of guys I know who didn't go the 'standard' route, off the top of my head:
-Naval Postgraduate School
-Tactical Support Center Watch Officer (which can be a 1 yr tour followed by choice of flying orders, typically station pilot in C-12 or T-34 IP, if you take the Watch officer job in a hard-fill area like Diego Garcia/Gulf)
-Fleet Staff Officer (which is a generic term I am using for all kinds of jobs)
-Admiral's Aide
-Test Pilot School
-Tweet IP at Vance
-T1 IP at vance
-NROTC Instructor
-"i can't remember the name" scholarship, where you go to a foreign country's War College
-And my personal favorite, Personnel Exchange Program, flying with a foreign navy

Stay in the same area...there are a few guys who get to stay on at the same location working at the Wing, usually as tactical instructors (mostly NFOs, but they usually have one or two pilots there as well), teaching classes, evaluating in the tact sims. Thinking back, I remember 2 pilots (ok, LTs) who were working there. Apparently, they do make an effort to keep these guys NATOPS current, letting them fly once or twice a month to maintain proficiency/flight pay.

Webmaster knows more about this stuff than I do. Eagle32 is about to finish up a Fleet tour in VP and would have some billet names to throw around regarding what guys have been getting lately. Hopefully this was of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.