• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shoes for OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc9280

I'm buying new shoes for OCS. My question is, should I buy the running shoes built more for trail running or pavement running? I am assuming that most trail runs are done in boots and pavement runs are in tennis shoes but I may be wrong. Thx.

Kevin

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
definately go with a trail-type tread.. but not a trail-only type shoe, if you know what i mean.. you want it to be really light weight, but have good traction. i would get something subtle in appearance, too..

Raptor2216

KMC,

I just had a $40.00 pair of nike running shoes and I did just fine with those. They were borken in fairly well so I never ended up with any blisters. Infact, I had no problem with blisters at all, not even with the boots. I would recommend that you concentrate more on the boots than the shoes because you are more likely to have trouble with the boots. Good luck.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
Listen. I've never had a problem breaking in running shoes. The newer the better. You're not going to get the boots til you get there and they don't need broken in either. Just work on your feet and your endurance. Don't worry about little shit.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
yea.. on another post the people getting ready to go were apparently informed that they will be getting the new boots when they get there.. i got mine in advance too though. but that was back in the day.

Lt_SNA_USMC

I got my boots like 3 months early as well. You may need to talk to your OSO to see if that can be arranged. At PLC jrs(2000), we ran in almost all tennis shoes ("go-fasters"). At seniors (2001), we ran 3 x total in go-fasters, and 2 x were PFTs. The rest was boots. BIG ADJUSTMENT. If they wait to give you your boots, OUCH. Your feet could end up looking like raw meat. You need to get some boots at least a few weeks early and wear them around. Wear them in a real hot shower too. That'll break them in. Definatelty find some go-fasters that are something subtle in appearance, and go with a "beefier" shoe with some tread (new balance makes one of the beefiest running shoes out). A dinky little runners shoe will get destroyed. Hope this helped. Good Luck.
Lt. Williamson, USMC

CorpSig

Amen to wearing Newbies! My New Balance 805's were great at Jr's this summer, bought them the day before I arrived and was loving them running over all the crags and ruts on chosin road and the jr's fartlek trails.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Be sure you get actual "running" shoes though. They wouldn't allow "Cross-Trainers" or any higher top shoe when I was there.

kmc9280

What do you mean? All you do is run from what I understand. Run here, run there, etc etc. It should be fun.

Kevin

The Wiz

Whats the daily schedule like at OCS? And could some one tell me about PLC cause im going this summer?

akmoon

From what I've heard it's 3-5 miles a day for 3 weeks straight. Trails, asphalt, hills, flat, you name it. After that you get a day off per week, so it's 3-5 mi for 6 days a week. I don't think it's much more than 5 mi per day though. As if that's not enough in boots.

muffin

I have a pair of Nike shoes with air cushion and the total front is mesh. I love these things!

I’m coming from a pair of New Balance’s that just totally tore up my feet. Hell, I almost lost four toe nails. My two largest center toes on both feet were always hurting then one day, I took a closer look and the nails were both about 3/4 the way off. Besides that, I always had little blisters, rashes, itchy dry skin, etc. on my feet. I highly recommend the mesh front. All those problems are GONE.

Some will ditch Nike and their shoes, but all it really comes down to is your kind of feet and running style. Myself, I’ve always had very minor shin-splints. After a quarter mile, they go away or numb up…who knows. I’ve tried most brands out their and the only ones that ever gave me trouble were made by Adidas. The only complaint about Nike is that I think their arch should be higher. I like to really feel it like with NB.

Mine are Air Turbulence 8.5’s. Their lightweight, cushioning is excellent, nice tread, but I wouldn’t buy them for stability or trail running. I still wear my NB's for steep grass hills or dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.