• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shipping vehicle from hawaii to pensacola

popeye123

I'm from Hawaii, I'm currently in the OCS preparation phase, been studying appendix B and working out everyday lol but I was wondering would the Navy help me ship a car to Pensacola after OCS? I tried googling around but found various answers saying that the Navy will only help ship overseas/OCONUS but also answers saying Hawaii isn't considered overseas etc. My recruiter is also out of reach, I think he is currently busy or on leave, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm from Hawaii, I'm currently in the OCS preparation phase, been studying appendix B and working out everyday lol but I was wondering would the Navy help me ship a car to Pensacola after OCS? I tried googling around but found various answers saying that the Navy will only help ship overseas/OCONUS but also answers saying Hawaii isn't considered overseas etc. My recruiter is also out of reach, I think he is currently busy or on leave, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

When your orders allow for it, the Navy will ship your car. There are (or at least were) two places to send it if you're going to PNS. One is New Orleans and the other is Orlando. When I moved from HI back to PNS, I chose Orlando 'cause I was crashing on a couch in St. Pete. Then Katrina happened. I do not regret my decision.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Atlanta is the closest VPC to PNS. Probably easiest to fly into ATL and get the car and drive home. Delta has cheap one ways up to atl.

Nola and Orlando fell victims to the budgetary axe.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Atlanta is the closest VPC to PNS. Probably easiest to fly into ATL and get the car and drive home. Delta has cheap one ways up to atl.

Nola and Orlando fell victims to the budgetary axe.

Bummer. Thanks for the correction.

popeye123

thanks for all the information and advise guys, i really appreciate it
I decided to not buy a car for now, I think it would be best to just travel light and have less stuff to worry about haha
thanks again for the information everyone :)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
When your orders allow for it, the Navy will ship your car. There are (or at least were) two places to send it if you're going to PNS. One is New Orleans and the other is Orlando. When I moved from HI back to PNS, I chose Orlando 'cause I was crashing on a couch in St. Pete. Then Katrina happened. I do not regret my decision.

Ah the sprawling port of Orlando... ha, seriously, how did they come up with that?!!? Don't they transport these cars by boat?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not sure why that question never crossed my mind. I guess I was just happy to have my car back and in one piece.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah the sprawling port of Orlando... ha, seriously, how did they come up with that?!!? Don't they transport these cars by boat?

I'm not sure why that question never crossed my mind. I guess I was just happy to have my car back and in one piece.

I'm pretty sure they containerize them, though I have no actual experience to back that statement up.

Assuming they do - why going intermodal is a better (i.e., cheaper) option than just having it picked up at a seaport, I don't know. Because government.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm pretty sure they containerize them, though I have no actual experience to back that statement up.

Assuming they do - why going intermodal is a better (i.e., cheaper) option than just having it picked up at a seaport, I don't know. Because government.
An old skipper told a story about how one of his buddies had all of his HHG containerized and then fall off of the ship during transit. Apparently getting reimbursed in that situation is pretty difficult.

I knew a guy who, after getting 2xFOS, was moving to his new home and civilian life on his last military move and the moving truck caught on fire. All of his family's stuff went up in flames somewhere between Pax and NOLA.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An old skipper told a story about how one of his buddies had all of his HHG containerized and then fall off of the ship during transit. Apparently getting reimbursed in that situation is pretty difficult.

"We have to wait six months and see if your HHG washes up somewhere before we can do the reimbursement paperwork. Call the Coast Guard and tell them to keep a lookout."

Pags

N/A
pilot
"We have to wait six months and see if your HHG washes up somewhere before we can do the reimbursement paperwork. Call the Coast Guard and tell them to keep a lookout."
"Here's the number for Lloyd's of London....good luck in Admiralty Court."