• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shipping a POV

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Anyone have experience shipping a POV as part of a Navy move? I know the Navy won't move the car separately if it's a CONUS move, but could it count towards your overall weight allotment? Trying to find a way to skin this cat without paying thousands of dollars extra in shipping costs.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The Navy will partially pay to ship your car in CONUS. They will pay what they would have paid you if a dependent drove your other vehicle cross-country (per-diem + mileage), which is almost always less than the cost of shipping.

It's in the JTR, complete with example calculations. In fact, since this whole process is 'government convenience' (or whatever the phrase is), if shipping your car were cheaper than a dependent driving it you'd be required to do it, although this is never actually the case right now.

This is part of the PCS/travel claim process, not the HHG move process.

How to do this administratively? Not sure what the 4.0 answer is but the PSD in Monterey told me to just ship it and claim that I drove both cars on the travel claim form. It offset about 67% of the shipment cost.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
The Navy will partially pay to ship your car in CONUS. They will pay what they would have paid you if a dependent drove your other vehicle cross-country (per-diem + mileage), which is almost always less than the cost of shipping.

It's in the JTR, complete with example calculations. In fact, since this whole process is 'government convenience' (or whatever the phrase is), if shipping your car were cheaper than a dependent driving it you'd be required to do it, although this is never actually the case right now.

This is part of the PCS/travel claim process, not the HHG move process.

How to do this administratively? Not sure what the 4.0 answer is but the PSD in Monterey told me to just ship it and claim that I drove both cars on the travel claim form. It offset about 67% of the shipment cost.

Interesting, I thought they only paid for one car under any circumstances, but I guess that makes sense since some families would require two cars to make the trip. I'm still going to see if the TSP will load the truck against my weight allotment - maybe I'll get lucky.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm still going to see if the TSP will load the truck against my weight allotment - maybe I'll get lucky.
They won't. You aren't allowed to ship (or tow) a vehicle as part of your HHG move. You won't 'get lucky.' Aside from the fact all this stuff us programmed into move. mil, I haven't met a HHG agent that doesn't treat you like a criminal trying to scam taxpayers at every opportunity.

The travel claim process is separate from HHG. The travel claim is where you can recoup some cost.

The government as part of the PCS process will pay you the cheapest rate for you to get from A to B. In CONUS that means you and your significant other each drive. You wanna pay a bit extra to ship your cars (or fly) then anything over the cost of driving is on you.

Now if you're asking bc you are single, then the answer is the Navy pays for you to drive one car and that's it.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Trying to find a way to skin this cat without paying thousands of dollars extra in shipping costs.

Have you received any actual quotes from legitimate companies? I've moved a car twice across the country and didn't pay "thousands of dollars."

Try looking through here:

It starts with talking about HI, but CONUS transport eventually follows.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you received any actual quotes from legitimate companies? I've moved a car twice across the country and didn't pay "thousands of dollars."

Try looking through here:

It starts with talking about HI, but CONUS transport eventually follows.
I'll second that. I ended up paying a bit more than usual because I was shipping my POV out of Fallon, but it wasn't thousands of dollars either. My tip for the process: research the companies and pick your favorites before you fill out their contact/quote forms. The only time I've been spammed more frequently (several emails/phone calls per company per day), was when I purchased my last car.

AULANI

My family drove one car from DC to San Diego and we had the other one shipped at our expense. It wasn't that much money. If you don't care that much about your car there are companies that essentially find people that need to get to where you are going and you let them drive your car across the country for you. It's pretty cheap but then you are having some random dude drive your car.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Shipping my car cost about $1300 cross country and I recouped about $700 from the travel claim. So all in all about $600 out of pocket.

If you want a closed shipping method the cost goes to about $2k cross country.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Similar experiences to above. I shipped my compact for $1400 and my wife's 7-seater for $1800. Both prices were a tad steeper than usual because Pax River is "remote." PCS claim showed I drove them both, which equated to $600-ish a piece. The company I went with was super fast though (they either have two drivers, or more likely, two logbooks)

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
I shipped my car from Lemoore to Miami, Key West was a non starter for delivery. $1100. I flew my plane and claimed that as my POV for partial DITY, got about $4k for that. If you have the means I highly recommend it since they still give you full amount of transit days. Brought a friend and had an epic XC.