• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shin splints

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I'll echo the custom orthotics sentiments, I got a pair, and while pricey (500ish), they last a number of years and will basically be night/day when running. However, if you do go that route, the shoes you were wearing might not be appropriate to wear with inserts. For example, I was in the Brooks Beast (great shoe), then had to switch to a neutral shoe when I got my inserts. Talk to the podiatrist.

phrogpilot73

I bought my shoes (Nikes, don't remember which ones) from a running store. They watched me walk barefoot, then got a neutral shoe and watched me run in that. After that, they told me what my foot/ankle was doing - and went and got three different shoes (that ranged from $95 to $150) for me to try on. They had me put on one Nike, one Saucony and run in them and see which felt better. Then they had me put on one Nike, one Asics (the Nike felt better than the Saucony, so that's why). Asics felt better. Then they had me put on both Asics, and low and behold the right shoe rubbed my heel. Both Nikes went on - and it felt much better. After running in them, I'm happy to say that the difference is night and day. I'd get the right and good shoes, from a running store that knows what they're doing...

Airborne502nd

I second what everybody has said.This playing lacrosse I had real bad shin splints. Especially when my team had at 3K and 4 games in one weekend. Being a midfielder, we have to run the most on the team and I don't know how I finished the weekend. I would keep on icing your legs. The best way is to get a kitchen size trash can, fill it half full with cold water and ice. Then put one leg at a time in it for about 15 min., then take it out and place your other leg in. Keep repeating for about 2-3 time each leg, it cold as h@%% but it works. Also a girl who runs track told me to take a round broom handle and hold horizontal across your leg and then run it up and down your shin. It seemed to help some. Also running a grass is best as well as working on a elliptical machine when you are recovering from shin splints. Hope they fell better.:icon_mi_1

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
So I went to an actual running store today and they videotaped my feet as I ran on a treadmill and basically all they said was "wow" as I was running all sorts of screwed up.

So now I'm one shoe size smaller with some good inserts to boot and my feet no longer basically curl in half at the ankle as I run. We shall see how this works out after the break in period which they said was about a week or so to let my feet and lower legs get used to the "correct" positioning.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
So I went to an actual running store today and they videotaped my feet as I ran on a treadmill and basically all they said was "wow" as I was running all sorts of screwed up.

So now I'm one shoe size smaller with some good inserts to boot and my feet no longer basically curl in half at the ankle as I run. We shall see how this works out after the break in period which they said was about a week or so to let my feet and lower legs get used to the "correct" positioning.

Hopefully that should make a huge difference. Just don't over train if you start feeling better, remember to gradually increase your distance.