• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shafted....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatsisname

Blind as a bat
So today I had a visit at the Laser Eye Center of Wisconsin, to see if I would qualify for PRK. Turns out I have massive, "size 8" pupils and PRK is a no go. Looks like I won't be flying any time soon :(

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
--maybe this is bad gouge--

but, I could have sworn I read something about "large size pupils" on the board (the number 7 is familiar, but I'm not sure)... I believe the guy did custom and it worked out.

But, I know nothing, and this may only be my imagination...

Whatsisname

Blind as a bat
I'm pretty sure I too have read people have had "custom" PRK. However, the technology for it isn't approved for anything beyond testing, and I don't want to be a guinea pig with my eyes. If the tech becomes approved in the near future, I might jump on board again.

eddiemac0 said:
--maybe this is bad gouge--

but, I could have sworn I read something about "large size pupils" on the board (the number 7 is familiar, but I'm not sure)... I believe the guy did custom and it worked out.

But, I know nothing, and this may only be my imagination...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Whatsisname said:
I'm pretty sure I too have read people have had "custom" PRK. However, the technology for it isn't approved for anything beyond testing, and I don't want to be a guinea pig with my eyes. If the tech becomes approved in the near future, I might jump on board again.

What does size 8 pupils mean? I had 8mm pupils and did the custom procedure through TLC vision...the results are excellent. Custom PRK isn't experimental....it's readily available.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Yeah I'd be interested to know

What are size 8 pupils? What was it that was wrong with your eyes (Astigmatism/nearsigted/farsighted, etc...)? What are your options now? Either way, good luck man.

rjacobs

Wow, just came back to the board after over a year of being gone and alot of PRK talk now. When I was going to get mine done/had mine done nobody knew much about it. I had custom PRK done almost two years ago. I was one of the first people to have it done by my eye doc. He said it is a more exact way to get your eyes done and it goes out to a larger pupil size. Pupil size is the max mm that your pupil will expand to when not dilated i.e. in a dark room for about 5 mins. When your eyes are dilated they will expand way past that, but it is not natural. I had 9mm pupil in one eye. Go get it done and dont look back. PRK is a dying way of doing laser eye surgery, but since the entire military is still doing things like it was 5 years ago we gotta do what we gotta do to fly.

Whalebite

Custom works well, the VISX S3 and S4(with custom) lasers work on large pupils, you're good to go, they were designed with variable laser sizes to work with larger pupils, see you up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.