• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member sentenced to prison for sending info to PRC

snake020

Contributor

Curious why he was prosecuted by DOJ and not in a court martial? There's nothing to indicate that he's a former service member, so it seems he's still active?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Curious why he was prosecuted by DOJ and not in a court martial? There's nothing to indicate that he's a former service member, so it seems he's still active?

Is this perhaps a crime that is referred for prosecution outside UCMJ channels?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

There are many crimes that are pursued and punished in outside courts.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are many crimes that are pursued and punished in outside courts.

The DoJ is much more experienced in dealing with espionage cases, from what I know experienced prosecutors try the cases and are apparently quite stark when dealing with the accused (either cooperate or we'll screw you over even worse than you are now). Most of the Fat Leonard cases were also prosecuted in federal court instead of courts-martial for the same reasons. Given the recent track record of some high profile Navy courts-martial I think it is a wise choice.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
27 months seems to be an impossibly light sentence. What am I missing here?

He could be cooperating, it could be challenge to present the evidence against him in court (classification, sourcing) and the info he passed may be less damaging.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Most CMCAs will gladly defer to civilian justice because a GCM is a huge time suck on a lot of line officers' day jobs.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I mean the FBI quite literally has a CI department, and I'd imagine there are federal prosecutors who are equally well-versed in these types of cases.