• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Commitment

ShortPants

I'm considering applying for a DCO slot with no prior service and the program authorization says, "Selectees incur an 8-year service obligation, the first 3 of which must be served in the SELRES." Does that mean that anytime after the first 3 years, you can request to move out of SELRES and into IRR? Is that type of request typically approved?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Correct. After three years as a SELRES you can request to go to the IRR in NSIPS and it will be approved. It's pretty easy.

If this is going to be your route, don't mention it to anyone during the application process, especially during your interviews.

ShortPants

Thanks bubblehead. That's definitely not my plan. Just trying to make sure I understand the rules going in. I'm not sure why anyone would target the minimum after all the work it takes just to get in.

What happens after 8 years? Do you sign a new contract for another term?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Thanks bubblehead. That's definitely not my plan.
Even if it is your plan, there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm not sure why anyone would target the minimum after all the work it takes just to get in.
Had an 1835 colleague whose sole intent for coming in was to parlay the experience into political and other. The person used his family connections to get selected, as well as to get assigned to a niche SOF unit as an O2 after RNIOBC when there were other, more highly qualified people waiting in line. One of our mutual 1825 colleagues who was in our RNIOBC class, a former Army 18B, was astounded at the SOF unit assignment. From there, it was a niche mobilization with a SEAL team, again, jumping ahead of more highly qualified people who were waiting in line. Somehow received a meritorious BSM for that mobilization, came back, and then, as an O3, exited the Reserve. Said experience, and the BSM of course, are part of the person's LinkedIn profile and web site. I went to DCO school with the person and they treated it, RNIOBC and everything else like a big joke. His entire persona is extreme self-promotion and parlaying of family connections and his military "experience" for "ladder climbing."

What happens after 8 years? Do you sign a new contract for another term?
Nothing happens and you don't sign anything.

Last edited: