• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

i found out from my recruiter that i was professionally recommended for sna, but the classes are full and thus wouldnt be going to ocs for another 18 months or so. how significant is this professional recommendation (i dont think this guarantees me a spot)and what are my chances from here. i wanted some guidance from people in this forum because i have had a lot of previous negative experiences with recruiters. i dont mean to sound malicious because i do believe their job is very important. also, is there a difference in the number of years commitment between rotc, acadamy and ocs for flying duties? what about whether you go fighters or heavys or helos? someone recently told me there is but im not sure? thanks for any info and i think this forum is a fantastic idea.

kevin

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Not sure about the "professionally recommended" stuff, but 18 months seems inaccurate for OCS. I was accepted for SNA a couple weeks ago with a November 2003 date.

As far as the commitment goes, it's currently 8 years for jets and 7 for everything else (from the day you get your gold wings). After your active duty commitment, there is a further reserve commitment but I've been told that it's up to you whether you want to train with the reserve for pay or not.

kraused

Last year the Navy changed the time commitment for pilots, which now stands at 8 years from the time you receive your wings for all aircraft (jets, helos, props). Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

kevin

airgreg,
when did you initially submit your application? i submitted mine around november.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Kraused: I just signed some papers with my recruiter yesterday at my swearing in ceremony which specifically said 7 years for helos/props and 8 years for jets. That said, it's possible the forms I was signing weren't up to date. Maybe someone else can clarify...

Kevin: My application was submitted at the beginning of November. Good luck to you.

-Greg

kevin

rhightower
the tester said i did really well but i dont remember my actual scores. sorry, i know this doesnt help.

kevin

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
now i havnt even submitted my package yet, but from what I have learned on these forums is that being professionally reccommended really helps out a lot.

I know your not there yet, but congratulations anyway on at least having someone in the program think you have what it takes. good luck on the rest.

kevin

theblakeness,
thanks much and the same to you. it's just anxious waiting to find out the final verdict.

kevin

Bserton

My recruiter said once you are professionally recommended you are pretty much all set (90% was his term). If nothing comes up on the DOD profile and the physcial you should be good to go. Only then will they you get a date at OCS.

PharaelGA18

Remember to get dental work done before you go that is the main reason for initial disqualification I heard. All that work would be for no reason.

wilsonator

i just graduated OCS earlier this month I am an sna and the committment is 8 years no matter what you get. but one year's not a big deal since everybody wants to fly jets anyway. i was told they bumped it up to 8 years for everyone so they can force you into that disassociated sea tour, fun, fun, fun!!! good luck.

benny2299

The current MILPERSMAN from January 2003 states the commitment is still 7 yrs prop/helo and 8 yrs jet after your winging. You can check it out by going on the www.bupers.navy.mil site under MILPERSMAN, I believe it's article 1520-040 or -020, something like that.

moestud

I've had three sets of orders issued to me and each has had a different obligation time. It started at 8 yrs for jets and 6 for helos. That was about 1 1/2 years ago. But when I got my order out of API, they changed it to 8/8. Don't know why, but thats what they've got for me and everyone else who is training right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.