• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

selection chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldahla

hey everyone!
i just have a curiousity question.
if you pass the ASTB test and have the opportunity to apply for a pilot slot in the navy, what do you think are the chances of being offered a slot??--since i've heard the navy is so competetive. does anyone know how many slots are open? i'd appreciate it if anyone could inform me! and also, why is the navy so competetive and hard ot get into? what are the key factors they look at when selecting individuals? thanks!

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Here's the answer...ask an officer recruiter...Most of the guys/gals on here don't have access to how many slots, planes, choices are available.
On top of that you're competing against your peers and where you fit in against them on the whole is viewed by a board. Nobody on here gets to see all of the packages.

As far as competitiveness...Wars always bring about national pride, increased enlistment and application for OCS and other programs...There was a graphic on the news back in the first part of this year showing all four branches of the military at or above 100% recruiting levels...I'm guessing that with the expansion of the Military to fight the war on terror in future years (i.e. Army going back up to 12 DIV from 10) and slowing of major engagements that the competitiveness will ease...I don't know of too many people who want to sit in Baghdad for 7 months while the guerrillas play shooting gallery...On the other hand a lot of people (before they get there and see what war is about) would like to roll through the desert with weapons hot during an actual war...ACTION makes the difference.

Personally, I think the next year will see a lot of openings for opportunity...As stop loss eases, veterans retire, people opt out because they've been through enough, and Afghanistand/Iraq are under better control (i.e. off the nightly news) you'll see a high accession rate and the pipeline will open up for a lot of individuals...Oh and especially for pilots...if the airline industry recovers to pre-911 levels then you'll see pilots jumping off the boat in large numbers to go civilian.

ander37

K-rock
I would definately agree with Whiskey about war making a difference.
I have talked to a few people on this site, and read many many threads. I must say that the requirements are insanely high right now. A year ago 4's across the board on the ASTB would get you in, granted you were "normal" on all your other stuff(that is what I have seen, correct me if I am wrong). Now, I on the other hand, on my ASTB got 8,9,8 and 63 OAR. I was "pretty strong" on my other stuff, except my GPA (3.15), and didn't even get Pro-Rec'd when I submitted last month. So, right now it is REALLY hard to get in. I am hoping Whiskey is right about it calming down in a year...But I would take the test to see how you do, but if you don't get at least 6's or 7's across the board, I would retake...I hope this helps a little...

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Whiskey touched on it, but another big factor in determining competitiveness is the state of the economy. Currently, as you may or may not be aware, the job market is in the crapper. That provides a pretty big incentive to opt for the security of a government job. Hence, a greater number of applicants. The economy is gonna have to improve before people are willing to risk it in the civilian world.

The 1-2 punch of a weak economy and an event like 9/11 (and the subsequent war on terror) leads to a phenomenon known as the "Sunshine Partriots" onslaught.

Key factors = A demonstratable ability to walk on water.

ander37

K-rock
"Key factors = A demonstratable ability to walk on water."
I would have to say that pretty much wraps it up. :)

kevin

wait, you have to be named jesus to get in? is this like an affirmative action thing or something related? no wonder i didnt get selected.

Attilla

As far as the job market goes...the military tends to do well filling slots when the economy is doing either realy well or really bad. The employment statistics tend to be a lagging indicator (last to cath up) on how well the economy is doing, so what everybody said is probably right. Although the airline recovery could be a lot slower than anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.