• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Security Clearances between enlisted / officer

The-Squeebs

Ahoy mateys.

I'm currently in the DEP program for nuke, and I'm trying to submit my officer package before I ship. Unfortunately, I had something go to collections and tanked my credit score. I had to get a waiver to get my security clearance for enlisted nuke, but my recruiter swears up and down that I wouldn't get it for officer.

I'm a little torn, because I don't know what's truth and what he's saying to keep me in the nuke pipeline. Is there a difference in the requirements for secret clearance between enlisted and officer? Is he being honest, or is he trying to fill his quota?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I don't know if there is a technical reference between O's & E's as far as clearances go, but I had a Secret & Top Secret (SCI) as both an enlisted Sailor and Officer. The requirements I went through and the adjudication of the clearance request was the same for both.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Your recruiter is lying to you (they do that) if you can get clearance to go nuke you can get clearance to do anything we do.

Don’t go nuke if you don’t want to.

egiv

There is no difference between enlisted and officers when adjudicating the same level of clearance. When an individual (enlisted, officer, civilian) is put in for a clearance, they are investigated based on the clearance level (SECRET, TOP SECRET, etc.) no matter what their rank or status is. So, an enlisted TS (which you'll need for nuke) is no different than an officer TS; however there is a big difference between a S and a TS.