• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second Bachelor's Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpeek

Does anybody know if the Navy let's you join the NROTC if you were getting a second bachelor's degree??

LadyJayUSN

I don't think so. I think you could join as a college programmer, if you were interested in using ROTC as a commisioning source. My advice, AOCS....

mattlowery

My advice....ROTC, hehe. I went through OCS and everyone will tell you that ROTC is the best way to go to get a commission. You have it made.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by mattlowery
My advice....ROTC, hehe. I went through OCS and everyone will tell you that ROTC is the best way to go to get a commission. You have it made.

Only if they're paying for your school! Remember that LadyJay was referring to the College Program (no tuition $) so OCS is a better deal.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

LadyJayUSN

ROTC...humm...best commissioning source?....hummm......well, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Seriously though, Matt, if you want to know the ins and outs of NROTC, use a search engine to find NROTC Administration Manual or Naval ROTC Administration Manual. You are more than welcome to see if there is any valuable information on my unit's website at www.ou.edu/rotc/naval. I am pretty confident that if you have more than 30 transferable credit hours, you are ineligible for scholarship, but I've seen weirder things happen. As my Papa always says, it doesn't hurt to ask, 'cause you already know the worst response would be a 'no'.

mattpeek

Thanks for the help everyone. I talked to the XO at the ROTC unit in San Diego at the University of San Diego (my alma mater) and he said it might be possible if I went in as a college programmer like LadyJay suggested but without the scholarship but I was never in it for the money. I did check out the NROTC website the Navy put up and I believe I'm ineligible due to my age. Hohum. I guess it's OCS for me. That's ok too. I just wanted to see if it was possible because I've been considering getting another BA.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
For you, the advantage of OCS over the College Program is that you'll know ahead of time whether you get the type of job you want (pilot, etc.). Also a quick 13 weeks of training rather than prolonged BS over 2 years... It's like pulling a band-aid off - best to do it quick and be done with it!

If you really want to go back to school, consider a master's rather than another BA. It will help you in your Navy career. A second BA probably won't.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

K-Ron

I don't know what your options for NROTC might be; but here's my suggestion. You will need a masters for a continued career in the Navy. If you have it going in, you're looking at an easy shore tour where you won't be busting your hump in night school or distance learning for the masters. (My hump is very familiar with this right now)

Food for thought. My NROTC XO had three masters up on his "I love me" wall. This really did impress all us MIDNs. Until one of my buddies' dad who was a PHD had this to say after seeing the XO's wall. "I'm sure ya'll are impressed by all those masters hanging up on his wall, and you should be because that's a lot of work. But I'll tell you what I see...someone who couldn't get beyond a masters"

K-Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.