• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SECDEF moving to establish US Cyber Command as a Four Star Command

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Secretary of Defense has signed off on a memo to establish US Cyber Command headed by the Director of the National Security Agency (currently Army LTGEN Alexander). The president has to approve the position as a four-star billet, which would be confirmed by the Senate Armed Services Committee. US Strategic Command in Omaha, Nebraska will establish "CYBERCOM" as a subordinate command effectively immediately with an implementation plan in place by 1 Sept followed by Initial Operating Capability by 1 Oct. CYBERCOM will be colocated with NSA at Ft Meade, MD.

Looks like Phrog and PSW may have left the area too soon as some choice Joint billets may be cropping up like mushrooms up that way. Watch that space!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Looks like Phrog and PSW may have left the area too soon as some choice Joint billets may be cropping up like mushrooms up that way. Watch that space!

Being said 22K more military and civilian billets at Ft Meade to support the new command. No clue where they're going to put people.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Being said 22K more military and civilian billets at Ft Meade to support the new command. No clue where they're going to put people.

Holy crap. I've been to Meade and that placed is packed tighter than a sardine can. New buildings?

Not to mention 22k MORE people moving to the DC area...22k MORE people on the beltway after work :sleep_125

Pugs

Back from the range
None
No, it is going to have to be a military officer. Whether or not it was a 4 star was a bit subjective, but I think it's to show how important this stuff is.

It's not just how important. There are legal issues with regard to US Code on offensive operations and who pulls the "trigger". It's kind of new ground but I expect we'll see some offensive cyber capabilities lumped into the WMD category. Much beyond that is not a discussion for here.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
It's not just how important. There are legal issues with regard to US Code on offensive operations and who pulls the "trigger". It's kind of new ground but I expect we'll see some offensive cyber capabilities lumped into the WMD category. Much beyond that is not a discussion for here.

I understand the nuances, my two sentences were meant as separate answers to his questions. The "how important" part was referring to whether it could have been a 4 star vs a 3, 2, 1, etc.

das

Contributor
Holy crap. I've been to Meade and that placed is packed tighter than a sardine can. New buildings?

Not to mention 22k MORE people moving to the DC area...22k MORE people on the beltway after work :sleep_125

For what it's worth, it's not clear if these jobs will be new or old, or whether it's a result of NSA consolidating workers spread in office buildings around Ft Meade to buildings on land it already controls on Ft Meade:

If NSA's growing, it's not telling: New complex it wants for Fort Meade might be just consolidation (Baltimore Sun, Aug 1, 2009)

NSA's 11,000 jobs at Fort Meade: New or old? (Baltimore Sun, Aug 1, 2009)

National Security Agency growth could add 11,000 workers at Fort Meade (Baltimore Business Journal, Jul 31, 2009)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
For what it's worth, it's not clear if these jobs will be new or old, or whether it's a result of NSA consolidating workers spread in office buildings around Ft Meade to buildings on land it already controls on Ft Meade:

If NSA's growing, it's not telling: New complex it wants for Fort Meade might be just consolidation (Baltimore Sun, Aug 1, 2009)

NSA's 11,000 jobs at Fort Meade: New or old? (Baltimore Sun, Aug 1, 2009)

National Security Agency growth could add 11,000 workers at Fort Meade (Baltimore Business Journal, Jul 31, 2009)

The new buildings going up on post right now are the DISA buildings as part of a BRAC move. NSA would love some new buildings here, the newest they have are 30 years old and the oldest in use go back to the start of the agency in 50's. There are plans I've seen but no money yet. Most new construction funds have been used for sites elsewhere.

Not my field, heck there could be lots of plans but I've not seen anything.