• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sea Year - Sea Stories, Pictures and More

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I figured I would lump together all of my pictures and videos together into one thread.

http://community.webshots.com/user/murdragon
(work in progress)

Videos to come soon.

I just finished up 130 days aboard the USNS Big Horn, we were deployed in the Middle East and the Mediterranean. I have been able to participate in various UNREPs, VERTREPs and other operations in support of the fleet.
It has been a blast out there and its satisfying knowing that we were giving the Navy the supplies it needed, from Carriers to Minesweepers.

I have seen beautiful cities like Dubai and Chaina to places such as Malaria infested Africa. The Gold Souk in Dubai is amazing, if you can think of it, they can probably make it, at a few shops I saw Gold Wings being made. Skiing indoors is also an interesting experience, so is going on safari out to the desert and riding the camels.

I also had the chance to transit the Suez Canal to support our ships in the evacuation of American citizens from Lebanon.

I have been able to conn our ship alongside other ships keeping us at the right distance. Being the Hookman during VERTREP is a rush that I have not felt anywhere else.

I am not done with sea year yet, next up is a flight internship, then most likely out to Hawaii and California for the Pineapple Run.

For those who don't know, I go to The United States Merchant Marine Academy, and this is part of our education, we have to obtain at least 300 sea days to meet graduation requirements. Last year I was in the Far East for 106 days.

To those going out on deployment or coming back, good luck, stay safe, and thank you.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
At least I have the comfort that its not going to be wasted.

Plus we were in port the next day.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Flight Internship

Today I just got back from a two week internship at PAX RIVER.

It was amazing.

From trying to hold a helo in a hover, to spinning an F-18, or a low level bombing run, I had a blast.

Although it was a short two weeks, I was able to get four different flights in 4 different aircraft. H-6, T-34, F-18B, and an F-18F.

My friend and I were also able to see some pretty amazing operations, from watching V-22s fly around, to having a tour of the catapult facility and watching Hornets launch.

All the people that I was involved with were amazing, they were all top notch, from guys in the Paraloft and the plane captains, the stashed ensign, and all the way up the chain of command.
From playing HALO at one of the pilots houses to having dinner in Annapolis, I hope that I too one day can let a midshipman have great experiences like I had.

To those who hosted me and allowed me to have such a great experience, THANK YOU.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Man, you got to fly an H-6? I'm jealous, I've always wanted to fly one (or a civilian MD equivelent). Just looks like it would be nimble and loads of fun.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Man, you got to fly an H-6? I'm jealous, I've always wanted to fly one. Just looks like it would be nimble and loads of fun.

All the pilots I talked to equated it to a flying lawn mower. It was a blast though, we flew with the doors off and got to do some low level stuff at the tree line in the marsh area on the base, not to mention landing in the "keyhole" which was an area surrounded by trees except for an area to enter it, then after landing come out right above the trees. We didn't get to land on one spit of land though, as it was high tide.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had permanent left rudder built in, so as it was my first time in it, I had trouble keeping the right amount of rudder when taking power on and off.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All the pilots I talked to equated it to a flying lawn mower...

Tell that to the 160th gun pilots. ;) (and yes, everyone, I know it's a different airframe...)

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had permanent left rudder built in, so as it was my first time in it, I had trouble keeping the right amount of rudder when taking power on and off.

And so goes the beauty that is helicopter flight. I'm surprised, though. It should have had "right rudder built in," as it's an American helo and the torque makes the aircraft rotate right, requireing left pedal (not rudder, btw). Interesting, and sounds like a fun flight.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
And so goes the beauty that is helicopter flight. I'm surprised, though. It should have had "right rudder built in," as it's an American helo and the torque makes the aircraft rotate right, requireing left pedal (not rudder, btw). Interesting.

Doh, thanks for the catch... cyclic, collective, etc.... hmmm from what I remember is that the left pedal was depressed fully to the left when we strapped in, the firehose was on that day, and pretty much the same way for all of my flights, so I will have to check on that.

The amount of SA needed just amazed me.

Flying fast and low was a blast in the H-6, but I don't think anything can beat the 500ft bombing run on the target ship in the Super Hornet

***Pictures on WEBSHOTS updated

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'd also love to fly an H-6. Just watching TC's helo in Magnum makes me want to fly it, looks like tons of fun.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Wow, I remeber going through the Suez Canal. That was before this suspension bridge was built...boy am I old :icon_roll :icon_cryi