• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sea Cadets/NJROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

heerothewizard

What's the difference between NJROTC and NSCC??
Also-which helps getting into USNA/NROTC/OCS more?? is it possible to do both?
thanks ^_^

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

chccurd

I'm not sure which one would look better, but I'm partial to the Sea Cadets (obviously). If you want more info go to www.seacadets.org or ask me some questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Currently, I'm a PO2 and the LPO of my unit. I think that we offer better hands-on training, but JROTC offers better academic training. I'm partial to the hands-on stuff so its better than JROTC for me (plus there are almost not NJROTC units in CA). Hope that helps a bit.
-Chris

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sea Cadets are geared more to getting in the Naval Service as an enlisted Member; whereas, the NJROTC is geared toward getting into NROTC at college. I have quite a few NJROTC students that make it to the NROTC. I do not know of anyone coming from the Sea Cadets to the NROTC....but no one says it can't happen.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

tosseck

Both of the programs you mention Sea Cadets and NJROTC are great youth programs. If the high school you attend has NJROTC, I recommend joining. But you can still participate with your local sea cadet unit.
NJROTC offers its cadets a significant advantage (over non-NJROTC applicants) obtaining a college NROTC scholarship, especially for minorities. 'Distinguished' NJROTC Units can nominate senior cadets to the academies as well (similar to the nomination authority your congressman and senators have). Go to www.cnet.navy.mil/njrotc/ for more info and to find a list of NJROTC schools in your area. My office phone is 714-567-4944 if you want to talk. I am a NJROTC Senior Naval Science Instructor at Santa Ana High School, Santa Ana, CA. I graduated from USNA in 1977, became a P-3 pilot, and retired a few years ago.

chccurd

I would agree that it is probably easier to get into NROTC or USNA with NJROTC, but I know that Sea Cadets is more hands-on. Thats why it appeals to me a lot more. It just depends on what type of person you are and what you like. Actually, I should be accepted for the NROTC scholarship by the end of this month, in the Immediate Selection Program. So, it definitely is possible. The key thing is to be dedicated to whatever you choose doing. Thats what they love to see. Good luck with your decision.
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.