• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scored a 50. Should I retake?

royal99

Hey all, I posted this questions to Reddit as well.
i just appreciate hearing the perspf those who have gone through this Navy OCS process as I make my decisions.

I scored a 50 on my OAR.
3.16 /4.00 GPA Biomedical Engineering degree
plenty of leadership experience and some work experience as well as volunteer work.

My big question is should I retake the OAR.
Im not very confident that my score will improve much if at all. But if retaking it is something I really should just do, then I’ll try. I’m not one to give up but I want to be smart about my decisions here.
I have one job (IPO)that has a 50 as the qualifying score. Supply and ocean O are my Other choices with 45 as the qualifying score. My recruiter says that I should retake to be competing for IPO, but I don’t feel like risking retaking that test. And I’m not overly picky on my job picks.

It took me years to boost my ACT to a 27. I imagine the same for the OAR. I know my weaknesses and strengths and tests like this aren’t my strong suit. I’ll give every bit of myself that I can to something but I’m not great at everything and this is one of those things. But if I really should retake it , I’ll try.

could you all offer your thoughts on the matter. I’d appreciate it so much.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all, I posted this questions to Reddit as well.
i just appreciate hearing the perspf those who have gone through this Navy OCS process as I make my decisions.

I scored a 50 on my OAR.
3.16 /4.00 GPA Biomedical Engineering degree
plenty of leadership experience and some work experience as well as volunteer work.

My big question is should I retake the OAR.
Im not very confident that my score will improve much if at all. But if retaking it is something I really should just do, then I’ll try. I’m not one to give up but I want to be smart about my decisions here.
I have one job (IPO)that has a 50 as the qualifying score. Supply and ocean O are my Other choices with 45 as the qualifying score. My recruiter says that I should retake to be competing for IPO, but I don’t feel like risking retaking that test. And I’m not overly picky on my job picks.

It took me years to boost my ACT to a 27. I imagine the same for the OAR. I know my weaknesses and strengths and tests like this aren’t my strong suit. I’ll give every bit of myself that I can to something but I’m not great at everything and this is one of those things. But if I really should retake it , I’ll try.

could you all offer your thoughts on the matter. I’d appreciate it so much.
If you would have looked you would find your answer, but to save time the answer is no, OAR doesn't matter except to get to the board, they care about degree and GPA.

your degree is good, your GPA is below the average picked for those in the IWC community, not saying you shouldn't apply, just saying you are applying to a very competitive group of designators against people with very high GPA's, so just be aware and prepared.

PringleMan

I apologize if I misread your tone, but I read it as a tad hostile. What he was saying was that there have been a lot of similar posts and some basic searching skills would have found them. That is a skill that is critical to success in any kind of government employ, so I would practice that.

To expound on your answer, you need to think about every element of your package as a plus or a minus compared to everyone else applying. First time applicants frequently fall into the trap of "Oh it is just the military" without really understanding how competitive the field is. A CIV applicant will usually be going against a few dozen high GPA people. This is in addition to prior enlisted with high-GPA bachelors and frequently masters or sometimes even doctorates.

You have an acceptable GPA, but a pretty low OAR. What else do you bring to the table for your chosen designator? Special skills? Excellent interviews with Active Duty officers in the field? Those are the questions you need to be answering.

royal99

Thanks.

I do research everything that I look into. I’m not someone e who ask before looking myself or who doesn’t research . My mom taught me too look for myself and ask questions. I’ve looked from Reddit to air warriors to anything else I can find, but it seems sometimes finding things government related can be outdated or just not there unless I go to discussion board platforms and those are usually all specific questions from specific situations that aren’t like mine, but I still take good things from each thing I read. I just thought it would be nice to have my own specific question because i was kind of desperate to hear advice that I don’t have any access to in “real life”.

thank you for your response. that al makes sense.
I’m moving forward with the process and submitting it. what is supposed to happen will happen and I’m content with that.