• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scoliosis

AF1099

Hello,
I am 14 and I am researching a career in the Air Force as a pilot. Of course, this won't be happening (if it does) for a long while. But I have scoliosis, as of now, with an upper thoracic curve of 31 degrees. I am currently in a Spinecor brace which brought the curve down 2 degrees from 33. I don't know if it will get better or worse through the coming years, hopefully better.
Would I still be able to join the Air Force/ be a pilot? I also have 2 other curves, a 9 degree lumbar and another lumbar that is around 15 or 18 ish or so, I'm not sure. I have read that you are automatically disqualified if you have a curve over 30.
However, I am planning on getting a good degree and being the best I can be so I can be a desirable candidate (if that is the right way to say it, I'm not sure how to word it). I am currently in the Gifted program and I have good grade (4.0 so far this year).

Is there any hope for me if I am able to lower my curve? When I look in the mirror, I can hardly tell I have Scoliosis. I don't lean over to one side, if anything my left shoulder is a wee bit higher than my right but you can barely tell. The brace is bringing it down. My hips don't look uneven, and I'm not all weirdly bent over to one side or anything. My scoliosis doesn't look as bad as it really is (to me, anyway). Would I have any chance if I could get my curve lowered?

Will my scoliosis be an issue if I want to join the Air Force? I know it is too early to determine where my scoliosis will go, but what are the chances that, if it stayed the same, I would still be able to get in? This is a job that really interests me. Also, I know that even if I could get in, I wouldn't be able to fly fighter jets because of my back. Would I be able to fly helicopters with scoliosis? Thanks!