• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Schedule a Flight Physical

capitoljake13

So I had PRK done 10-Apr. I'm applying USMC OCS and the 6-month mark would then be 10-Oct.

It would be my understanding then that I cannot have a flight physical or file the PRK waiver until at least after 10-Oct, correct? But, on that note, is there any reason I shouldn't be able to schedule my physical now? Even if my 6 mo. post-op is 09-Oct? If I can schedule it now, who can I get in touch with at NAMI to confirm to my OSO that's the case.

Dive_pilot

I am in the EXACT same boat as you except you're further along than I am (my 6 month mark is Dec 30). I talked with my OSO about this today and the info you have is 100% accurate. As for scheduling it now in advance, I asked with my OSO and there seems to be no problem with it. It sucks, believe me because getting the NAMI stamp and waiver approved after submission takes a while. I'll be researching more and checking back from time to time but either way for you it seems like you'll be in by the summer class regardless. I may be waiting until Oct 2010 :(.

jtmedli

pilot
I am in the EXACT same boat as you except you're further along than I am (my 6 month mark is Dec 30). I talked with my OSO about this today and the info you have is 100% accurate. As for scheduling it now in advance, I asked with my OSO and there seems to be no problem with it. It sucks, believe me because getting the NAMI stamp and waiver approved after submission takes a while. I'll be researching more and checking back from time to time but either way for you it seems like you'll be in by the summer class regardless. I may be waiting until Oct 2010 :(.

It depends on your pre-surgery refraction and astigmatism but you can do it at the 3 month mark. I think the magic numbers are like +/- 3 diopters refraction and +/-2 astigmatism or something like that. Check the PRK stuff on NAMI. I did mine at the 3 month mark.

capitoljake13

Dive pilot said:
I am in the EXACT same boat as you except you're further along than I am (my 6 month mark is Dec 30). I talked with my OSO about this today and the info you have is 100% accurate. As for scheduling it now in advance, I asked with my OSO and there seems to be no problem with it. It sucks, believe me because getting the NAMI stamp and waiver approved after submission takes a while. I'll be researching more and checking back from time to time but either way for you it seems like you'll be in by the summer class regardless. I may be waiting until Oct 2010

The consensus in my office is that you're not able to contract until after the 6-month mark, and then can't call to schedule the physical until you're contracted.

I HAD been shooting for the Jan class, but if the policy now truly is that you must wait to have your flight physical OK'd and returned before sending in a packet then indeed it will be May. Concerning the contract before 6 month timeline... I've heard others contracting before, and calling ahead to schedule so if they ARE rules then they must be lenient. But, for me ... the time I'll be waiting for the OK from NAMI makes working around it pointless, assuming it's still months of waiting.

I'd say if the wait goes down in the future you'll be able to get in and make the May class.

It depends on your pre-surgery refraction and astigmatism but you can do it at the 3 month mark. I think the magic numbers are like +/- 3 diopters refraction and +/-2 astigmatism or something like that. Check the PRK stuff on NAMI. I did mine at the 3 month mark.

Were you already military? The waiver guidelines are somewhat misleading but I believe it's 3 months under those pre-op conditions for those already military and 6 months for civilian apps, regardless of pre-op. Nugget61's thread under PRK describes what happened when he tried to file his waiver at 3 months.

Or if you went through the process some time ago? and policy has since changed? Or I'll feel like an ass and wish I had looked into that a bit more.

jtmedli

pilot
Were you already military? The waiver guidelines are somewhat misleading but I believe it's 3 months under those pre-op conditions for those already military and 6 months for civilian apps, regardless of pre-op. Nugget61's thread under PRK describes what happened when he tried to file his waiver at 3 months.

Or if you went through the process some time ago? and policy has since changed? Or I'll feel like an ass and wish I had looked into that a bit more.

No, I wasn't already designated SNA. I'm also Marine Corps Air Contract which may or may not matter to my situation. I'm not sure what doc nugget61 is talking about but the Opto and Flight doc at Beaufort signed off on everything and my waiver is at NAMI right now so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

nugget61

pilot
No, I wasn't already designated SNA. I'm also Marine Corps Air Contract which may or may not matter to my situation. I'm not sure what doc nugget61 is talking about but the Opto and Flight doc at Beaufort signed off on everything and my waiver is at NAMI right now so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The only thing I can add is that I was going through the Navy side of the house. Believe me, I was fighting hard for a 3 month waiver but the doc's refused it (and I met preop guidelines according to waiver guide). Good luck in getting one via Marines sooner

jtmedli

pilot
The only thing I can add is that I was going through the Navy side of the house. Believe me, I was fighting hard for a 3 month waiver but the doc's refused it (and I met preop guidelines according to waiver guide). Good luck in getting one via Marines sooner

I asked my OSO (Captain) about the 3 month deal and he said that we should have no problem getting it and he's done a few of these so who knows. The only crappy thing is that my physical was finalized about 2 weeks ago and now the waiting game begins for approval.

If NAMI gets it approved inside of a month I can go to OCS (OCC 203) in January. If not (I was told definitely not going to happen) then I'm stuck waiting until 204 in the May which puts me a very hard spot jobwise and housing. I'm pretty much un-employable (If I'm honest about my intentions) because I'm definitely going into the Marine Corps at some point in the near future but I'm not even breaking even at my current job (actually losing money). Basically I'm screwed and the next 9 months is going to be a very frustrating and hard time for me.

capitoljake13

I asked my OSO (Captain) about the 3 month deal and he said that we should have no problem getting it and he's done a few of these so who knows. The only crappy thing is that my physical was finalized about 2 weeks ago and now the waiting game begins for approval.

If NAMI gets it approved inside of a month I can go to OCS (OCC 203) in January. If not (I was told definitely not going to happen) then I'm stuck waiting until 204 in the May which puts me a very hard spot jobwise and housing. I'm pretty much un-employable (If I'm honest about my intentions) because I'm definitely going into the Marine Corps at some point in the near future but I'm not even breaking even at my current job (actually losing money). Basically I'm screwed and the next 9 months is going to be a very frustrating and hard time for me.

I hope the 3-month waiver works for you, though I'll be a bit envious. Regardless, now that I'm at 6-month I'm in the same boat as you concerning 203, 204.

Without totally threadjacking this (what's the topic again?), I feel your pain. I'm done at my current job in about a month and I've been looking for mid to long term volunteering. I don't need a lot of cash influx and I figure it would look good to the boards. There are plenty of easy-to-find independent non-profits that charge you a pretty hefty rate to 'volunteer'. But, there are also plenty if you look hard enough that are similar to Peace-corps, Ameri-corps, etc. that will provide minimal stipends. Also, homeland security, veterans affairs, etc. are always looking for help. It would be pretty badass to help build a school in Afghanistan, right? I'm gonna search the boards and if it's never been brought up I'll start another thread with some websites and ideas but it's just a thought.

Dive_pilot

I hear ya on that one. I'll be very interested to see if you get that 3 month waiver (so I can hound my OSO to push it through). I just had my 3 month eval today and everything looks great but waiting til late Dec and early Jan to get another physical done (and submit the waiver) and approved makes my situation that much tougher. Like you, I'm unemployable if I'm honest about my immediate plans. Not sure but I checked out the peace corps for the interm and I believe that you have to commit for 2 years which is a shame because it'd be nice to have that in your package for the boards. Good luck to you guys. This group therapy has made me feel better. :D

SemperFi88

Could anyone clarify exactly what is involved with the flight physical? How much different is it than my first physical at MEPS? I just passed my ASTB with a 6-7-6 and a 53 OAR so I think the flight physical and signing my Air contract is the next thing in line. Any clarification or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I never did MEPS so I can't compare, but if my memory serves me correctly they do a long form physical for your first one (i.e. everything, not the shortened form). This consists of:

- Eye exam, glaucoma screening, color vision test, visual acuity test, etc
- Audio exam (you sit in a little quiet room with a headset on and press a button when you hear a beep)
- EKG
- Blood work (HIV, glucose levels, blood type, etc)
- X-rays of chest and sinus
- Meet with flight doc

I may have left something out, but I'm pretty sure that is everything. That order is kind of the way the day will flow, though you can do those things in different orders. The meet with the doc is always last though, and normally done in the afternoon for a long form. I'd count on it taking the better part of a day if it is your first physical.

SemperFi88

That is a bit obnoxious. I did MEPS a month ago and they have me come in to do the same thing again and all they add is an EKG and an Ex-Ray for my chest and sinuses. I thought they were great with efficiency until this. Oh well. Thanks for the information.

radkindoical

I'm in the same position as you, jtmedli, are. I just got my prk and have to wait till feb to get my fliglht physical and i'm graduating in may of 2010. My original plan was to hopefully get accepted soon enough to go to summer 2010 occ however, my OSO just informed me that there weren't any spots for air contract or something, and told me that i had to wait till october to apply for air. I got about a good 6 to 9 months of waiting around unemployed....