• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SAU Gigs

ReadySetRoll13

pilot
Couldn't find any old threads on this, but do most SAU's (FRS/VT's) usually select guys with experience within that respective community (i.e. VP to VR, VFA to VFA/VTJ, etc)? Pretty sure if I remember correctly, there was an IP back in VT-35 was a helo guy before but not sure if he was with the SAU or not

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couldn't find any old threads on this, but do most SAU's (FRS/VT's) usually select guys with experience within that respective community (i.e. VP to VR, VFA to VFA/VTJ, etc)? Pretty sure if I remember correctly, there was an IP back in VT-35 was a helo guy before but not sure if he was with the SAU or not

Different SAU's have different hiring standards. The RAG SAU's generally hire folks qualified in the platform naturally with rare exception, VP squadrons generally hired folks from VP but have taken a few 'others' on a case by case basis and the Prowler reserve squadron usually took qualified VAQ folks but again hired 'others' on a case by case basis but who all had a jet background. VR's are a different animal and take everyone from helos to VFA. Can't say much about VT/HT's but from what little I know they usually hire folks who actually had been through that pipeline, VTJ's hires guys who went through VTJ's and etc.

As always there are exceptions to the rule but that usually involves someone who knows folks personally in the command and not a 'cold call'. Gatordev probably has a lot more info.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Point of order: I've never heard of a VR SAU, but then again, maybe Wink can educate me, as he often does.

Otherwise, from what I've seen, what Flash said. The preference is to hire from within the community. If that means a CAT II transition, then it's not as big a deal. I've also seen that folks coming from a more "demanding" community makes it easier to go to a less complex mission set, ie going from an ASW platform to a non-ASW platform. I'm guessing going VFA to something not VFA would be similar (within Type, of course).

Also something to keep in mind for upward mobility... The TRACOM SAUs will take non-TRACOM PCOs, however they still want FRS experience at some point in their career. FRS SAUs tend to want FRS experience, as well, so it starts to become a self-licking ice-cream cone.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think one of the biggest drivers, and Gatordev can confirm, is money. Picking up a guy that has no experience in that aircraft, let alone warfare specialty, cost training dollars. We are talking CAT 1 RAG.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FRS SAUs will want community experience, preferably instructor experience, though not necessarily. Some TYCOMs have a hard requirement for currency - VAW/VRC it's not more than five years out of the plane.

VT SAUs usually pick up current or former VT instructors. Sometimes it's because it's the fastest/cheapest way to get new guys producing X's, sometimes it's because they know you, sometimes both.

It's a who-do-you-know game for the most part. Any flying reserve unit will prefer a known quantity over a cold call. If the skipper/XO/OIC don't know an applicant, they'll start calling his/her former skippers and asking around the unit. Reputation counts for a lot.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a who-do-you-know game for the most part. Any flying reserve unit will prefer a known quantity over a cold call. If the skipper/XO/OIC don't know an applicant, they'll start calling his/her former skippers and asking around the unit. Reputation counts for a lot.
^^^ This. A JO affiliating with a SAU or RESFORON will likely be there for 5+ years. Just a little luck and you could hang around until you make O-5. They want to make sure they can live with you. Not like they just hold their nose for 3 years and you are gone.

Last edited: