• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sailing certification through Navy-sponsored school?

NAVTX

I am preparing to get commissioned as a Supply Corps Officer through the DCO program - no prior service. Completely separately, I have a personal interest in getting a sailing certification / captain license.

Is there any advantage / support / help for a Reserve Officer can get in pursuing full sailing certifications? It's about $2,000-$5,000 as a civilian.

Basically wondering if Newport, Norfolk, or San Diego offer "in network" classes of any type. I couldn't find anything online...

Pags

N/A
pilot
I am preparing to get commissioned as a Supply Corps Officer through the DCO program - no prior service. Completely separately, I have a personal interest in getting a sailing certification / captain license.

Is there any advantage / support / help for a Reserve Officer can get in pursuing full sailing certifications? It's about $2,000-$5,000 as a civilian.

Basically wondering if Newport, Norfolk, or San Diego offer "in network" classes of any type. I couldn't find anything online...
Base MWR will often run sailing courses. I know that Pax MWR runs a sailing course but you still have to pay out of your pocket.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Make sure you watch this valuable instructional video, skipper.

veggie_pirates.jpg

NAVTX

Lol - thanks for all the support guys! Apparently the only recreation a sailor is supposed to do is just cruise youtube and veggietales videos.

Thanks @Pags for the tip.

jmcquate

Contributor
You don't need a "certification" to sail recreational. Just hang out at a yacht club on a Wednesday for a club race and some boat will be short crew. That's how I started, and I've run bows on 50s in the old SORC circuit crewing with Olympians and America Cup dudes, and I've never once heard of someone having a "Sailing Certificate".

jmcquate

Contributor
A certification from a place like that will teach you the technical shit, (something I could teach you in a day)..............or just go out and do it. Don't wast your money.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Lol - thanks for all the support guys! Apparently the only recreation a sailor is supposed to do is just cruise youtube and veggietales videos.

Thanks @Pags for the tip.
The base MWR courses will get you a Skipper qual in a few short days so you can then rent boats from the marina.

But as others have said go bum around a yacht club and offer to crank. I did the same when I was at NPS and I was always able to find a spot on a crew that needed a few extra pounds on the rail. After a few beer can races I was getting invited to sail in other races and just because.

But don't confuse knowing how to sail with anything that is professionally useful to a Naval Officer other than encouraging a love of rum.

NAVTX

Absolutely - I'm aware our ships don't have sails on them. I just really enjoyed sailing 40-footers with a buddy in the BVIs and Italy, so I would like to learn the technical stuff and be able to go charter a boat myself...

Will go hang around the water and offer myself up as fresh meat while up in Newport.

Thanks guys.

jmcquate

Contributor
The base MWR courses will get you a Skipper qual in a few short days so you can then rent boats from the marina.

But as others have said go bum around a yacht club and offer to crank. I did the same when I was at NPS and I was always able to find a spot on a crew that needed a few extra pounds on the rail. After a few beer can races I was getting invited to sail in other races and just because.

But don't confuse knowing how to sail with anything that is professionally useful to a Naval Officer other than encouraging a love of rum.
Ahhhhh. seamanship, is seamanship........even with TLAMS..........Corinthian is Corinthian.