• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

S-3B Viking

Status
Not open for further replies.

NfoSean

I was looking at navy fact files from their website and the S-3b Viking really peaked my interest. Is anyone out there an NFO on a S-3B viking? If so can you tell me if they are to get into, what are the positives and negavites of it? Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

Yankee600

My LT is an S-3 NFO and he has had a great time flying them. I also met a bunch of S-3 pilots and nfo's this summer on cruise and they all love it. One really cool thing about the S-3 is that it has a stick in both the right and left seats so the NFO up front can fly the plane too. They are also based at NAS North Island in San Diego...a great place to be stationed.

Unfortunately the S-3 is in the process of being retired and chances are there won't be many slots available if any. Right now it's mostly being used for air to air refueling. The new superhornets are being configured to take over that job.

NfoSean

Thank you for the information, a little dissapointing. I'm just getting this feeling that the NFO positions are getting less and less and are being replaced by technology. Anyway thanks for you input. [B)]

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dont forget the mighty P-3 or the TACAMO birds. NFO's love those communities.

Dave

Phiman

If you could would you mind enlightening me on why it is that NFO's like the P-3? It just doesn't seem all that interesting to sit in either of the 2 NFO seats without windows and stair at a screen. But having never done it, I don't know. Besides per diem and no time on the boat, why do they like it? Thanks.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The NFO's in the VP community have windows to look out of, can't answer for the VQ or "jerries kids".

Why do they like it?!?! Same reason I like it, challenging mission, good deployments, and a lot of great people, throw in the fact that you are not going to the boat (or back to it in some cases!), and you have a sure fire winner.

Did somebody mention per diem? $$$

p3sa.jpg

jrklr

is there two pilots (NA's) in the P-3 or just one? If there's only one, then is the person sitting in the second cockpit chair an NFO, or are the NFO's only behind the cockpit area? thanks.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A crew has 3 pilots (PPC, 2P, 3P) and 2 NFOs (TACCO, NAV/COM). The NFOs do not sit in the flight station, they have the two seats in the tube behind the flight station, on the left and right side of the plane. As mentioned, they have their own window. For short duration flights, ~ < 3 hours you can have just two pilots. Depending on the crew, you usually do a 1.5 hour rotation, ie you are in the seat for 3.0 hours, then out and in the rack for 1.5, then you are back in the seat again for 3.0, repeat as long as necessary. You can have missions or transits from 7-12 hours long. And that is not even adding in preflight and postflight duties.

You also have two Flight Engineers (FEs, enlisted), who sit in the flight station, one flight engineer sits between the pilots and monitor engine instruments and fuel (they do ALOT more than that though).

The flight station will hold five people in it, so typically for takeoff and landings, you have the offduty pilot and flight engineer sitting in there also.

NfoSean

Since the S-3B seems like a slim possibity of being a part of, could you guys tell me what planes are used on carriers besides the hornets. For me getting a carrier based plane is more important than getting a specific plane. Thanks
bigeyes2_125.gif

jrklr

E-2 hawkeye
C-2 greyhound
F-14 Tomcat
EA-6B prowler
I'm not sure if the C2 even has NFO's though. And the Tomcat is on it's way out. Supposedly the prowler may be retiring in the near future too, replaced by even another variation of the hornet. So, if your an NFO on a carrier in the future your probably flying in one of a few different types of hornets or the E-2

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
There is No NFO on the Greyhound C-2
only on the E-2C in which there are Three NFO's & Two pilots
The EA-6B is planned on being replaced with the F-18G "Growler"
and the S-3 is definitely being phased out, no longer get a billet for NFO's

Kimphils Girl

I heard from someone that the Growler squadrons will be filled with old S-3 NFOs. So be careful when you select your platform.

Stay trong kimphil! Its only a mind game!

Status
Not open for further replies.