• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

running shoes- Brooks Beast

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not the beast, but I've had a good experience with other Brooks products. I know some folks who swear by the Beast though. Big dudes love em.

Brooks, Asics and Saucony are all good shoes if you don't have perfect feet. Me, I'm an Asics man.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whole-heartedly concur on the Asics. I've worn Asics since about '96 and a couple of times I've wandered off the range to try new products. Not smart. If you get chin splints easily, Asics will certainly help.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
If you get chin splints easily, Asics will certainly help.

Chin Splints? Sounds pretty painful. Anyways I got a new pair of Nike Air Max and I love em. They are so light and breathable, wich is good in Florida. Otherwise I usually run on New Balance and have loved every pair.

Oh and Solomon makes some sweet adventure racing/ trail runners called XA Pro's my friend owns this business and sells em pretty cheap see http://www.argear.com/gear/grsalomonxapro3d_shoes.html

zelda

Nomad
My SO uses those shoes and will highly recommend them. I have a pair of the Saucony Grid Hurricane that were awesome for my marathon training and now for my triathlon training. If you have anything but perfect feet and running form, I'd definitely suggest also getting a pair of the Superfeet insoles. They feel a little weird at first, but will save your knees and legs.

Isela

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
I have some pretty bad shin splints and just switched to the saucony grid hurricane and have the superfeet insoles with extra arch support. Zelda is right they do feel wierd at first but my shins havent hurt nearly as much for the past two days. I tried on the Brooks beast and a different saucony shoe but they were both to wide but had plenty of arch support.

Av8or72Dan

I was looking at buying the superfeet insoles but when I put them in the shoes, it felt like I had a rock under my heel. Anyone ever they the Adidas supernova shoe?

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
i've run in adidas and they're comparable to nike. the supernova is the really lightweight running shoe, right? (it's been a long time.) if they don't bother your feet, who can argue with free shoes?

personally, i like new balance, and when i was wearing asics, i'd wear down the sole, (terrible, i know!), long before the 'mileage replacement suggestion' took effect. i absolutely loved them, but didn't want to keep replacing shoes in half the time it 'should' have taken. that, however, was probably 10-13 years ago, so things might be better now.

brooks makes a good shoe as well.

a lot of runners tend to stay more toward the brooks, asics, new balance, saucony side of the house when choosing personal running shoes.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I ran track in college and I got pretty bad shin splints till I got these shoes. They have great support and really cut down on my shin splints. They are a little bit heavier, but that really isn't a big deal. I'd highly recommend them.

Mike

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Brooks Beast are generally recognized as the best of the "motion control" shoes - for overpronators. Good cushioning as well as support. It's worth the time to go to a real *running* store and ask them to fit you. I had no idea I what an overpronator was, but had always suffered shin splints and other maladies. Beasts solved the problem.

Av8or72Dan

I recently went to a running store. The guy there told me that I would not benefit from the Beast since I have an extremely high arch and I have good stability already. In the end, I purchased a pair of adidas supernovas and an arch support.

zelda

Nomad
Av8or72Dan said:
I was looking at buying the superfeet insoles but when I put them in the shoes, it felt like I had a rock under my heel.

They definitely feel stiff and it may even feel like your foot is going to come out of the shoe :icon_mi_1 . If you do end up using them, make sure that they're appropriate for your needs. At least for running, they have different ones varying in stiffness and arch level. They made all the difference in my running shoes and I ended up getting them in my ski boots and cycling shoes as well.

Isela