• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running shoes/Austin area PT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFgirl

1) I have just worn through my running shoes... anyone have any recommendations for a good pair? I have been using New Balance and Mizunos.

2) Anyone applying for OCS in the Austin area and interested in group PT?

bigsur009

waiting not so patiently for OCS...
I don't live in Austin, but try to find a running specific store such as a Fleet Feet or Phidippides. Both will have a trained runner watch you run and suggest shoes to try on that fit your running profile (i.e. pronate, underpronate, neutral, etc.). Then you'll get to run in each pair around the parking lot to pick which ones truly fit the best.

Take it from a runner. There is NOTHING better than running in a pair of shoes that fit your style. In addition, you can hurt yourself by running in a pair that aren't designed for your running style as they can push your feet in odd directions, leading to all kinds of problems.

I'm sure that you'll be able to find something in Austin that does this. Here in Atlanta, we have quite a few stores like this.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I second that. I have a low arch, and it's annoying going to a footlocker asking if they have a shoe for underpronating. They don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Here's a good site: www.roadrunnersports.com

rare21

pilot
Contributor
great shoes i used in Austin were Saucony's. fit my foot perfectly. I went to RunTex which helped in finding a shoe that fit my foot and i've been using them ever since.

Crowbar

None
Absolutely agree with Saucony (if you have flat feet). I have flat feet and have used different flavors of Saucony for over two years now with no problems (at least, none caused by the shoes). They seem to be pretty good at developing shoes for large (200+ lbs) flat footed runners.
Lots of people I run with swear by New Balance or Brooks but they are all smaller people with pretty normal feet.

SFgirl

rare21 said:
great shoes i used in Austin were Saucony's. fit my foot perfectly. I went to RunTex which helped in finding a shoe that fit my foot and i've been using them ever since.

This is funny because I actually went to RunTex on my way home from work today... They fitted me for some Asics... I tried the Sauconys, but I guess my foot was too arched for them. Thanks for all the input guys!!!!

On a side note, I am sure y'all know this, but some people just reading the thread might not... I had no idea you were supposed to buy running shoes in a half-full size larger than your regular shoes... I couldn't believe the difference! I actually felt more like I was putting on slippers than shoes for a change...

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Must be a girl thing... my dress shoes run 1.0 to 1.5 sizes smaller than my athletic shoes and always have. Gotta have room for the feet to swell!

zuggerat

i have a pair of puma's and they've been treating me great so far. really impressed with their construction and breathability. i would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Bevo16

pilot
If you want a workout in Austin, contact the NROTC unit at The University of Texas. Their Marine Option students run a group called "The Leathernecks" and they get after it pretty good three times a week. If you can't find the numbers off the web, PM me and I will put you in contact with them.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
As far as running shoes goes, use the phone book or whatever to find a specialized running store. You will probably pay a little extra for shoes, but its totally worth it. The shoes that these guys hooked me up with are worth their weight in gold (I use Nike, the Bowerman series.....the kind that is actually made for running). Someone with a lot of running experience should be able to help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.