• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running and situps, more than anything else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbit845

In the past month that I've picked up a routine, my pushups have picked up quite a bit. My situps and running are still lagging way behind (improving, but VERY slowly). Pull ups are going slow, but definately improving.

1) For running, I'm running 3 days a week. 2 of those days "max distance sprints" for a total of 2 miles, and the last day just being a distance day (4 miles). Every day that I don't run, I do bicycle sprints on a hill near here. I usually walk around with ankle weights on around my college campus.

2) Situps: Nothing in particular, just doing 'em. Do some when I wake up, when I get home, in between homework, and before I go to bed, every other day. Also doing crunches and leg raises for variety.

Anyone have something in mind to help me out here, or just keep doing what I'm doing?

tali264

olympic style archery???? Is there a difference between olympic and anything else? I obviously have no knowledge of it, just curious [:D]

rhollin1

Yeah I know what you mean rabbit. When I decided to put my app in, I started doing the exercises. I couldn't get more than 25 pu or 20 su at the beginning and that was just 7 weeks ago. Now I am up to 65 pu and about 50 su. Hopefully I can get both up to around 90 before going. (if I am accepted)

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

rabbit845

For the curious:
<nerdly geeky reply>
Olympic style archery uses a recurve bow, using (most) any materials, but usually they have aluminum handles, with foam and carbon fibre limbs. Distances shot are 30, 50, 70, and 90 meters, using only a non-optical peep sight (as opposed to others, which let you have up to 12x or more magnification).

The only muscles you use are in your back (not your arms, if you do it right), and you just walk a lot...so we're all either really fat and pot-bellied, or skinny, scrawny geeks [:D]

FlyGirl

Rabbit....sometimes More isn't always better. Sometimes it's just "more". So I would say take a day off between the days of running (no biking, no nothing for one day) and see how that helps. Your body needs time to repair. If you are using your leg muscles days in a row, you might actually slow down the improvement process. Another tip is to make sure you are well hydrated. If I don't drink enough, then go run, and sweat out more your body will start sucking at exercise. Also make sure you are eating enough so as to not wear yourself down. (a general rule is to add 100 calories for each mile you run. -- but make sure that's healthy food, not cakes, candy, etc.)

Anyhow, hope that helps...I know my running has greatly improved after watching more of what I eat, hydrating myself and making sure I respond to what my body is telling me. :) Plus, get a workout buddy or have someone challenge you. I run better when I find I'm not concentrating so hard on all the little things.

rabbit845

oops, yeah, the day off! I have one, just forgot to add it in. Even so, guess I will cut back a bit. Looking at it, I'm starting to see why things aren't improving too well.

Work out smarter, not harder, eh?

kenjamin17

" (a general rule is to add 100 calories for each mile you run. -- but make sure that's healthy food, not cakes, candy, etc.) "

since i started running at the end of the summer i decided i could eat whatever i pleased, hell i'm running right? hehehehehe. i had pretty low body fat this summer (i believe the technical term is ripped, tho i could barely do over 50 situps, damn useless muscle) and i bet my calories are gunna drop drastically at ocs so i'm trying to give my body some extra blubber!

i'm also doing a workout with 1 day off per week and i started improving a lot after a couple weeks, but then i started finding myself less motivated and my times started gettin worse. this past weekend i was away from home and let the exercising slip and now this week i feel totally motivated again, today a 4-mile track workout was over 4 minutes faster than just 2 weeks ago.

basically what i'm saying is i was overtrained and my body was definitely telling me, my body had an extra 3 days to recover and now i feel great. perhaps you're exeriencing something similar.

tali264

rabbit845,
That's cool. I love uncommon hobbies. Do you practice a lot? Do have competitions or anything?

rabbit845

Practice for me during the season (Jan-July) is about two hours a day shooting, 5 days a week. The major tournaments I go to are Indoor Nationals, and Collegiate Nationals. I also had the experience to shoot at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, CA last year--now THAT was awesome. 2003 will be the first year I go to a US Gran Prix event (not as big a deal as it sounds...you just pay the entrance fee
icon_smile_wink.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.