• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Runners Knee

Trev82

pilot
I got runners knee my LAST WEEK at OCS and since i've been back home i haven't been able to run at all. I'm a little nervous b/c the initial PFT at TBS is HUGE for getting classed up with Bravo Co. My final PFT at OCS was 295 but not running for a month i'm afraid is going to destroy my run time. I also attempted to run the other day and still got some pain in my knee. WHat can i do to combat runner's knee and to rehabilitate it. ALso, i know i shouldn't but should i force a run in to get my legs back in shape or just keep resting and hope i can still get a good run time in early jan. Thanks for any input.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
What specificly is "runners knee"? I have tendenitous (sp?) in both my knees, so I know how running can suck. To stay in shape when they are hurting to badly I cross train by swimming or riding a bike.

Optimum11

From a professional stand point the best thing to do right now is ICE, ICE, ICE & Ibuprofen. Stay on top of this!!! I can not stress that enough. As far as exercising goes, jump on a stationary bike and see how that feels. A stationary bike is one of the best exercises for rehabilitating a knee injury providing a constant smooth motion with ZERO pounding on your joints. If that still bothers you after riding the bike, you might want to get it checked out. If it feels fine, stick with it for a couple of weeks, then progress back to jogging.

badger16

None
Ice, elevate, and Ibuprofen. Words to live by from my PT friends at Wisconsin. When I was training for my marathon I got tendinitis in my ankle and that helped me out a bunch. Its sucks to not be able to run. Try doing a bike to at least get some bit of a work out. Good luck man.

BackOrdered

Contributor
If this is a case of genuine Runner's knee, quad focused exercises will do the trick. Runner's knee happens when your knee cap is being thrown off center due to weak upper thigh muscles. The reason I don't think that's the case is you are going the TBS and Runner's knee usually happens to guys who are out of shape with weak leg muscles. You should definitely get this diagnosed to see what is the cause.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
STRETCH! The key things to hit are your quads, hamstrings, and IT band. The IT band is often neglected, but if it tightens up you will be in some serious pain. I developed IT band syndrome over the summer from running a marathon without training (dumb), and even after taking 3 weeks off, I couldn't run more than 1/2mi without having serious pain in my outer knee. Stretch multiple times per day, ice, ibuprofen. A good massage can help too.

And come back slowly!

Optimum11

To add to C420 Sailor, IT band stretching is great but knowing how to stretch your IT band is key. The best way to stretch your IT band is with a Foam Roller. Any local fitness club, PT office or AT facility should have multiple foam rollers on hand. Do a google search for different foam roller stretches. The purpose of the foam roller is to act as a deep tissue massage replacement. It provides myofascial release (eliminating pain & restoring motion) to the specific area addressed.
Is this a direct pain in one area of your knee or is it "achy" all around? If it is a direct pain on the front of the knee cap you may have an issue with your patella. This is common with over-training in many different events usually involving bounding motions. PM me if you have any questions with rehab work. The main focus right now is trying to nail down your symptom. Good Luck!

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Maybe you should let this thing clear up with some down time in Mike Co. I know it sucks, but going into TBS with a nagging injury is not a good idea. You will be constantly doing running/humping (carrying more weight than at OCS) and its not going to heal during all that. It's great to have the 'get-through-it' mentality at OCS, but you really can't do that at TBS with an injury like this. They always told us 'OCS is a sprint, TBS is a marathon'. I jacked up my ankle on a run back from the rifle range (month 2 in?) and it bugged this shit out of me up until about 4 months after I got down to Pcola - and it wasn't nearly as bad as what you have. Hope things work out for ya man, take care.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Trev, I had ITBS (runners' knee) during OCS and was able to eliminate it completely in a couple months. I ended up going to physical therapy for about a month and a half. Heres a few easy steps, some of which have already been mentioned.

1. Stretch - IT Band, quads, hams.
2. Do exercises that strengthen the muscles around the IT-Band - Quads, outer thighs. Machines in the gym work well for this.
3. Use the aforementioned foam roller regularley to loosen up your IT-Band.
4. Slowly start running again.

Consider doing some physical therapy, your insurance should cover it. However, due to time constraints, be realistic. Good luck!

Trev82

pilot
If this is a case of genuine Runner's knee, quad focused exercises will do the trick. Runner's knee happens when your knee cap is being thrown off center due to weak upper thigh muscles. The reason I don't think that's the case is you are going the TBS and Runner's knee usually happens to guys who are out of shape with weak leg muscles. You should definitely get this diagnosed to see what is the cause.

I got diagnosed with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (A.K.A. Runners knee) by medical at MCRD San Diego. THey said it was an overuse injury from the pounding endured at OCS. Thanks for the advice, i have about two weeks remaining in SD and will start a strict ice and bike regimen to get it rehabilitated.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Disregard my last post. Apparently runner's knee can describe a number of different symptoms. What you were diagnosed with wasn't ITBS.