• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

run question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwm522

Is getting the three mile run from 23 minutes to 21 minutes possible in 6 weeks?
Any suggestions

Kycntryboy

pilot
Sure there is, thats a difference of 40 seconds each mile. However I would say in my unprofessional opinion that it matters how much you were running before that 23 minute 3-mile, and what kind of body stature you have. Some people are just naturally better runners than others.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I would say just keeping getting your mileage, and start competiting against yourself and the clock, if you want it bad enough you'll be able to bear the pain.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
definately run with a watch..from one week to the next I went from a 21:26 to a 19:58 just because I had something to judge myself with while on the run. A lot of it's a mental game too so just find out what state of mind works for you :)

KBayDog

Competition is a GREAT way to motivate yourself.

Being springtime, most areas start to have their 5K races. Look for one a few weeks away, and train for it (runnersworld.com is a good place to start). Having a goal, and having others competing against you, will help shave precious seconds off your time. It will also enable you to come up with your PFT "plan."

livefast

A caveat to KYCNTRYBOY's post: there is a major diference bitween discomfort and pain. I had the "run-through-the-pain" mentality and now I'm sidelined with fractured tibias in both legs. You have to increase your pace or distance gradually (5% at a time is a good rule of thumb). Any more and you're asking for trouble.

Pridgen

Just to give you a heads up, you wont be ... i am a PLC'r and going first sessions this summer ... i have deff. dropped my run time a lot but i am still running in the high 29's ... try running in b's and u's to ... that has helped me a lot ... going from that to your go fasters makes you feel like your running on cloud nine

Pridgen

haha crap, your right ... typo ... i mean to put in high 22's ... but today that has changed ... i ran a twenty two flat which now gives me right around a 250 pft ... now if i can only get them pull ups UP ... i got 15 but i want to get at least 17 by time i get to OCS ... any suggestions? I know pushups help out

utrico

Applying for OCS
For pull-ups the way I finally got past 17 was to have someone spot me and give me help towards the end of each set by holding my legs. So instead of doing 3 or 5 max sets, I would do 3 sets of 20 with help at the end and this morning I got all 20 during my PFT. You can also look around the site for forums on pull-ups. Oh and push ups definately help.

Status
Not open for further replies.