• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rumor that OCS is relocating to Great Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFU2USN

Hi Everyone,

I think there was a rumor that OCS was going to be moved to Great Lakes (ack!). However, I think the following explains what is going on...

Training Revolution Advances with Naval Service Training Command
Story Number: NNS030213-03
Release Date: 2/13/2003 9:02:00 AM

By Darlene Goodwin, Naval Education and Training Command public affairs

PENSACOLA, Fla. (NNS) -- The Navy's Revolution in Training is taking another step forward in the move to produce a more highly-trained naval force.

As part of the revolution, the Naval Service Training Command (NSTC) is being established to align enlisted and officer initial training programs under a single command structure.

Under the provisional stand-up Feb. 7, Commander, Naval Training Center (NTC) Great Lakes became Commander, Naval Service Training Command. It will oversee the critical mission of turning volunteers into naval service professionals. The headquarters will remain at Naval Station Great Lakes, in the Chicago area.

NTC Great Lakes has historically managed basic training for enlisted Sailors, including recruit training, or boot camp, while staff members at the Naval Education and Training Command headquarters in Pensacola, Fla., have been responsible for officer accessions programs, such as the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps and Officer Candidate School.

According to Chief of Naval Education and Training Vice Adm. Alfred G. Harms Jr., this change is intended to make initial Navy training more effective and efficient by giving a single commander responsibility for curriculum development.

The change will also enable the sharing of practices and allow for the consistent application of training policy across all programs.

"In the past, there was a greater distinction between officer and enlisted training," said Harms. "Today, it is critical that all of our Sailors, both officer and enlisted, are highly educated and afforded the opportunity to develop professionally and personally. In fact, many enlisted Sailors become naval officers at some point in their careers. It makes sense to have all of our entry-level training experts working together in the same organization."

Under the new structure, the following initial training programs will report to NSTC:
- Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Ill.
- Transient Personnel Unit, Great Lakes, Ill.
- Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps programs at colleges and universities throughout the country
- Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps programs at high schools throughout the country, U. S. Territories, and at Department of Defense Dependent Schools overseas
- Officer Indoctrination School, Newport, R.I.
- Navy Chaplain School, Newport, R.I.
- Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training (BOOST) program, Newport, R.I.
- Naval Science Institute, Newport, R.I.
- Seaman-to-Admiral 21 program

Officer Training Command (OTC)-Pensacola, a new command that will also report to NSTC, provisionally stood up Feb. 10.

OTC-Pensacola will assume responsibility for officer accession programs currently assigned to the Naval Aviation Schools Command, Pensacola. The programs that will be realigned under this new command are Navy Officer Candidate School; Limited Duty Officer and Chief Warrant Officer School; and Direct Commission Officer School.

Provisional stand up means NSTC and OTC-Pensacola assume responsibility for the operations, functions, and roles identified, however, the final construct and manning are not complete. The organizations will be transitioned to permanent status when all mandatory administrative and legal requirements are met, and the final organizational construct is determined.

"Changing the way we do business can be challenging," said Harms. "And we're dealing with some of that as we proceed through this Training Revolution. This is a change that's very good for our Navy and for all Sailors, officer and enlisted. NSTC unites two great teams that will now function more effectively and efficiently, thereby creating a win-win situation for the Navy and its Sailors."

For more information about Navy training, visit the CNET Website at www.cnet.navy.mil.

For related news, visit the Chief of Naval Education and Training Navy NewsStand page at www.news.navy.mil/local/cnet.

contrail_dash

They're just realigning the command structure. No location change.

19873016.jpg

WFU2USN

Yes, I didn't really point that out, just wanted to dispell a rumor...wouldn't want to go freeze in Great Lakes! Ick!

:)

Hartman

If any change in the location of OCS puts greater distance between you and the wrath of GySgt. Rocquemore, USMC, you should be very thankful for the change. I still have occasional nightmares and twitching in general, but the Navy therapist says that I'm getting better. My 1,000 yard stare has decreased to 500 yards. Things are on the up for me. They might even let me fly a plane one day.

frogggystyle

Rocquemore is your god. Kneel before his might and worship him for the diety that he is!

I don't think they will ever relocate OCS. There is too much tradition here. This is where future Naval offciers have been training since day 1. Relocating costs a lot of money. Plus, Great Lakes sucks. There is no way they could make OCS candidates run in those 3 foot snow drifts in Illinois. They have to be able to train candidates and the snow would ruin all chances of that happening in Great Lakes.

I went to OCS from November to February. There were several days that PT had to be cancelled. Sure, it was cold outside...but it was *nothing* like the cold I experienced when I went to boot camp in Great Lakes. Great Lakes just isn't an ideal place to physically train people with the amount of physical training the candidates have to do in OCS.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

bisouss69

Please put that rumor to rest.. I couldnt handle another 3 months in Great LAkes... bad enough dealing with the Bootcamp then A school for a year... that place makes me sick.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
eh, the should move it to Buffalo, we get snow drifts that cover houses, lol..it would be a work out just trying to leave the house..
spin_125.gif

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

FlyingPorkChop

The rumour I've heard is not that Pens. is going to Great Lakes, but that Newport is going to Pens. JAGs accede through Newport, and SWO school is there as well as a couple important tenant commands.

There is a certain amount of logic to this, as Newport is clearly a base that is a shadow of its glory days self. All "zeroes" used to go through Newport. If officer training could be consolidated in one location, that would make sense.

More speculatively, I've heard that a number of the other staff corps and other designator meccas -- for instance, CEC officers go through Gulfport, and chops go through Athens -- are being viewed with interest by closure officials. I hope nothing comes of this.

Please note that this is just unofficial scuttlebutt and does not reflect the opinion or any insider information of my employer (the USN).

-- R, VR FPC

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
frogggystyle said:
I don't think they will ever relocate OCS. There is too much tradition here.

If you think decisions are made in the Navy based on tradition, you're in for many disappointments down the road. Traditions are abandoned all the time.

OCS in P'cola is probably safe, but certainly not because of tradition.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
FlyingPorkChop said:
More speculatively, I've heard that a number of the other staff corps and other designator meccas -- for instance, CEC officers go through Gulfport, and chops go through Athens -- are being viewed with interest by closure officials. I hope nothing comes of this.

-- R, VR FPC

Not trying to be a d!ck, but just so any new CEC guys don't get alarmed, CECOS is still in Port Hueneme, CA. Though they do have NMCBs down in Gulport, MS.

FlyingPorkChop

Quite right about Hueneme.

I didn't quite communicate my point.

Gulfport is a SeaBees-only (essentially) base, the home of NMCB-1,7,74, the location of the SeaBees and CEC Museum, and is certainly a "mecca" for that designator.

The base CO is a CEC guy.

The end of such meccas would not imply the end of the designator: simply consolidation in a place like Pensacola or Great Lakes.

Thisguy said:
Not trying to be a d!ck, but just so any new CEC guys don't get alarmed, CECOS is still in Port Hueneme, CA. Though they do have NMCBs down in Gulport, MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.