• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RIP James Holloway

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
View attachment 23833
lord almighty that ribbon rack
Well...when you;

1. Direct a night-time torpedo attack against a battleship from the gun-director of a Fletcher Class destroyer and,

2. After that service earn your wings and fly numerous strikes in a F9F Panther (taking command of a squadron after your CO is downed) and;

3. Command America's first nuclear powered aircraft carrier, the USS Enterprise, for two combat tours and;

4. Become the father of NATOPS and;

5. Serve as CNO and;

6. Successfully argue the to SecDef into signing off on the F-18 type rather than the preferred F-16 because the Hornet was designed for all-weather missions while the F-16 carried only a missile system that operated best under clear-air conditions...

you get a pretty fantastic ribbon rack!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting pic. Definitely hornet lines in the YF-17, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting pic. Definitely hornet lines in the YF-17, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen.
Although it has been quite a number of years, the last time I was at Hawthorne Municipal (KHHR) that very YF-17 was parked by the old Northrup facility. If you saw it in person you would be surprised how skinny it was compared to the final F-18A product. Not remotely sure if the Growler is even wider.

HuggyU2

None
I was at the USS Alabama Museum in 2011 and there was a YF-17 on display there. It used to be in PCola, IIRC. I'd guess it is still in Mobile, AL. Good piece of aviation history.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although it has been quite a number of years, the last time I was at Hawthorne Municipal (KHHR) that very YF-17 was parked by the old Northrup facility. If you saw it in person you would be surprised how skinny it was compared to the final F-18A product. Not remotely sure if the Growler is even wider.
Yeah, the other prototype is in Mobile, and it's interesting to see how "AF Spec" the YF-17 is compared to an old Chuck. Landing gear, especially, but the LEX is also notably different.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure I saw a YF-17 in the Boeing Museum in the mid to late 90s.