• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retaking the ASTB - Help on Updated Study Materials

Jose1993

Hello everyone,

I took the OAR portion of the ASTB today, June 5, 2020, at Great Lakes and unfortunately I only managed to score a 32. I'm fully confident I excelled on reading and my mechanical comprehension knowledge was average. Math, however, was my weakest subject. Many questions on the exam didn't reflect on the materials recommended on the site. There was a heavy focus on conversion and fraction word problems. I'm screwed because my recruiter said the board meets on August 17th to review applications for the Surface Warfare program. I have to retake the exam after July 7th; I need to score at least a 50.

Here's what I studied...
  • The Princeton Review - Math Workout for the GRE, 4th Edition
  • Trivium - OAR Study Guide 2020-2021
  • Test Prep Books - ASTB Study Guide 2020-2021
  • McGraw-Hill Education ASVAB 4th Edition
  • The Math Section on Kyle's ASTB Study Kit
Don't get me wrong, these notes helped me a lot but they did not resemble the Math portion of the ASTB. I have nowhere else to go If I lose this opportunity and I cannot afford it. For those who took the exam recently, can you please send me your notes? What score did you get overall on the OAR and what should I do more to improve mine?

Thank you all for taking the time to assist me as well as your service to our country. Please be safe and healthy during this situation.

AULANI

Hello everyone,

I took the OAR portion of the ASTB today, June 5, 2020, at Great Lakes and unfortunately I only managed to score a 32. I'm fully confident I excelled on reading and my mechanical comprehension knowledge was average. Math, however, was my weakest subject. Many questions on the exam didn't reflect on the materials recommended on the site. There was a heavy focus on conversion and fraction word problems. I'm screwed because my recruiter said the board meets on August 17th to review applications for the Surface Warfare program. I have to retake the exam after July 7th; I need to score at least a 50.

Here's what I studied...
Don't get me wrong, these notes helped me a lot but they did not resemble the Math portion of the ASTB. I have nowhere else to go If I lose this opportunity and I cannot afford it. For those who took the exam recently, can you please send me your notes? What score did you get overall on the OAR and what should I do more to improve mine?

Thank you all for taking the time to assist me as well as your service to our country. Please be safe and healthy during this situation.
It's high school level math on the OAR. Just grab a HS math book or look at videos from Khan Academy if you are more of a visual learner. Good luck!

Oshun8235

Hello everyone,

Here's what I studied...

Your not the only in that situation of this being basically your only option. So I totally understand. I took it on the 13th of this month. And my problem was I over studied and over think it. The material I had was good. Just basically what I had on the outside didn't make its way on the inside. Unfortunately I didn't do well infact I bombed it. I'll just have to go back to the drawing board now. I still will keep doing the review on the material but not as much. Most of all do more math test just to get use to the format with the types of math questions that will be on the test. I go back to take my test on January 15th. I wish you all the luck. We both can do this!.