• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retained Hardware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

srp_4737

Hey everyone,

Pretty new to the forum... already looked around and tried to find relevant info. Has anyone dealt with retained hardware in their ankle before? I am currently gathering medical paperwork for an injury I had in 2009. Long story short, I had no business playing football (but I tried to play football) and broke my tibia. I currently have 2 screws where the fracture occurred and have had no issues since. My recruiter is "concerned" with the problem and said he is not fully confident I will be qualified for SNA because of it. I am trying to submit for the fall board (have not even gone to MEPS yet).

If you guys have any advice that would be amazing. I have a letter from the doc back in '09 saying I am cleared to full activity... I am having issues locating physical therapy records though. Are PT records vital to get cleared? Will I have to go through a waiver process?

Thanks in advance!

FinkUFreaky

pilot
From the NAMI waiver guide (feel free to google it, chapter 13.6 would apply to you:

U.S. Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide Orthopedics - 1013.6 ORTHOPEDIC HARDWARE, RETAINEDAEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Discomfort due to retained hardware and risk of refracture are safety of flight and mission completion concerns.

WAIVER: Retained hardware in the upper and lower extremities is NCD provided there has been resolution of the underlying orthopedic problem, that the hardware is not subject to trauma, is intact and in the intended location, and does not weaken the bony structure. Retained hardware in the spine is CD in applicants, no waiver. Designated personnel may be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis.

NCD: Not considered disqualifying.
CD: Considered Disqualifying.

From what you've said, I would guess you could get a waiver. You would definitely need one. I got one for both childhood asthma and a replaced ACL, most aviators are on some waiver of some sort.

This question would be better asked in the Doc's corner though, not the main forum.

srp_4737

From the NAMI waiver guide (feel free to google it, chapter 13.6 would apply to you:

U.S. Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide Orthopedics - 1013.6 ORTHOPEDIC HARDWARE, RETAINEDAEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Discomfort due to retained hardware and risk of refracture are safety of flight and mission completion concerns.

WAIVER: Retained hardware in the upper and lower extremities is NCD provided there has been resolution of the underlying orthopedic problem, that the hardware is not subject to trauma, is intact and in the intended location, and does not weaken the bony structure. Retained hardware in the spine is CD in applicants, no waiver. Designated personnel may be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis.

NCD: Not considered disqualifying.
CD: Considered Disqualifying.

From what you've said, I would guess you could get a waiver. You would definitely need one. I got one for both childhood asthma and a replaced ACL, most aviators are on some waiver of some sort.

This question would be better asked in the Doc's corner though, not the main forum.
Thank you for the feedback! I'll post this in the doc's corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.