• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Officer?

Jason O'Shea

So I was readin about NROTC and I saw that it said after completion, you recieve a commision to be an Ensign in the Navy Reserves. I originally thought that you recieve a commision to be an Ensign in the active duty Navy. I know after NROTC you owe the Navy a cetain amount of years, but now I'm getting confused on which one it is. Any help?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
In the past they commissioned officers in to active duty in the Naval Reserves. For all intents and purposes it was semantics. Expect to be on active duty when you graduate.

sickboy

pilot
I'm active duty and not in the reserves. I just commissioned in August 2010 if that helps at all.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Used to be you commissioned into the USNR then "augmented" later in your career to USN. Something about how it was easier/cheaper to get rid of USNR folks... whatever. in 2005 or 2006 the Defense Authorization Bill changed that and everyone was commissioned into the active military and newly commissioned officers were automatically augmented.

jmcquate

Contributor
Same thing with the Marines in the 80s. Commissioned in the USMCR then had to augment to make 0-4.