• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Line O-5 results are out

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Always interesting to see someone who was, when you last saw them, a Marine O-3 and now they're a Navy O-5 (SEL). Also interesting to see that several guys who got sucked up WAY early on the FTS side this year actually did make it.

subreservist

3 guys made O5 in my training unit and another 3 made it at my cross-assigned unit. But there was 1 guy in my training unit who got passed over; he thinks it was due to not having a breakout FITREP. I didn't want to press him too much about, as he was pretty bummed out. I did ask him if he had an updated photo, which he did, and he just came off mobilization not too long ago. He did mention he has not done JPME (he is an aviator).

I checked the briefing slides for aviators and that was one of the mentionable items that supposedly the board looks at (if nothing else it would help balance out an in the pack FITREP).

Hopefully, he figures it out...I believe he has 1 more shot at it.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Had several friends get picked up on their 2nd and 3rd looks - reserves are nothing like active duty. Make sure photo is in, JPME and/or Master's is done. Make sure all eligible NOBC's, AQD's and SSP's are up to date. Make sure all of this is annotated in their records. Make sure you write a letter to the board, also go back to the message traffic from the last board and check the precepts - i.e., what was the board looking for? Luck = opportunity + preparation. If the board wants JPME and a Masters and you want O-5 - then do JPME and a Masters.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm having a hard time buying the JPME and definitely not the Masters, at least on the actively-drilling (and FTS) side of the house. There's too much anecdotal evidence for the last three boards that indicates JMPE isn't a show-stopper. And on the FTS side, they went so deep into the next YG it looks like they were just trying to get bodies.

I'm curious how quickly the slow drain of bodies that's starting to occur on both sides is going to affect O-5 availability. Seems like that should be felt pretty quickly at a paygrade that senior.

subreservist

I don't think it's a show stopper, as I know plenty of SELRES that selected without it, but if you are in a large unit, everyone can't break out as EP and/or MP. My thinking is if you find yourself in the P's just prior to the board, you may need those other items to balance your record.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think it's a show stopper, as I know plenty of SELRES that selected without it, but if you are in a large unit, everyone can't break out as EP and/or MP. My thinking is if you find yourself in the P's just prior to the board, you may need those other items to balance your record.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm thinking of it from the perspective of a hardware unit/SAU where you try and set it up for people to progress and move up and/or out, making room for the next wave as time marches on.