• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve JO new billets now 4 years

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
As new DCO curious to hear thoughts of others on this. How long are billets currently?
Per the message, it won't affect new DCO's, or anyone who has orders to a billet before 1-JAN 23.

However, as a data point - I was in window for a a new billet over the summer. I applied, got selected, and was issued 4-yr orders to my new unit.

The rationale is that it was coded as an operational billet and they wanted 'more time on station'. I think the new shift is just aligning everything to the same window to make administration easier, and hopefully easier on the member as well. It will also increase continuity within Unit leadership. If CO/XO swap every 2 years, that still leaves plenty of time for the remainder of the wardroom to do actual work without worrying about their detach FITREP, and EOT awards write-ups.

Another possible benefit is that you do a 4yr billet, take a deployment, do another 4yr billet, and start getting looks for O-4.

I'm in favor of it, but will also caution folks to think carefully about what they put on their dream sheet, and how they are willing to be billeted (Hard/Local, CAI, or CAO). If you get the wrong assignment, 4yrs can be a long time.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I agree 100%. Need to think really carefully about those choices before hitting submit. I my last command, an operational unit, I said they need longer orders for the exact reason you mentioned above. In 3 years I had 3 COs, just the way timing worked out. It was a nightmare trying to get my detach FITREP, 9 months later I finally received it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Force connect message:

ForceConnect :: RESERVE JUNIOR OFFICER TOUR LENGTH INCREASE TO 4-YEAR ORDERS

Effective 1 October 2022, Navy Reserve Junior Officers (O1-O4), selected via the Junior Officer Apply (JO APPLY), will be assigned four-year orders with the exception of Direct Commission Officers in training pipelines and approved Billet Identification Numbers (BINs) for select managed communities.

This change in tour lengths supports 2021 Navy Reserve Fighting Instructions (NRFI) Design the Force Line of Effort guidance/direction and directly aligns with the Chief of Navy Reserve’s (CNR) number one priority of warfighting readiness.

Longer JO tour lengths will provide greater return on investment by increasing continuity and allowing for more opportunities/time on station to achieve qualifications and complete training tracks. Ultimately, this shift will directly enable and improve individual, unit, and warfighting readiness.

CNRFC N122B will implement the new four-year JO tour lengths starting with the release of orders with an effective date of 1 January 2023.

For any questions please contact CNRFC N122B at usn.norfolk.comnavresforcomva.mbx.cnrfc-jo-apply@us.navy.mil

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a former SELRES Ops O and current SELRES Training O, this is the right call. If I were a CNRFC staffer, I'd even explore whether 5-year orders are apropos. Reservists don't have the ability to gain the breadth of experience AC folks do in the course of 2-3 year orders. You just can't do it. I'm on a flex drill unit where I can spend 4 IDTT days a quarter and 12-21 AT/E-AT days a year at my gaining command, plus 8 more days per year at the NRC that largely aren't dedicated to warfighting readiness because they're dedicated to the PRT, PHA, GMT, and all the other mandatory NRC bullshit. And it's still just enough to dip my toe in the water and be quasi-ready and trainable if Winnie the Pooh gets a bug up his ass.

There are plenty of active duty COs who are neglecting to train up their reservists, because they look at the time allotted in a 3 year tour with max 3-4 AT periods, look at all the other crap their ISIC is grading them on, and go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Extending the PRD a year gives SELRES COs the ammo they need to go to their AC counterparts and tell them to shit or get off the pot.