• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Enlisted to Active OCS

Good Afternoon,

I'm a prior-enlisted Sailor currently in the process of applying for OCS to be a Surface Warfare Officer (April 2021 Board). Due to COVID-19, the dates have been pushed back and back and I am itching to serve. I was wondering if it's possible for me to enlist in the reserves and start drilling while pursuing my commission. My recruiter said that it's definitely possible, but I don't want to get myself in a situation where I'm stuck in the reserves and they won't let me leave for active duty OCS because I haven't been at the unit long enough etc. Anyone done this before? I'd like to just get in and start serving and I could start drilling in just over a month. If not I could just wait it out, but I'm just afraid I either don't get picked up in April or I end up getting picked up, but don't ship off until late 2021 or even early 2022 (who knows with the virus, etc)

VR

WannaBShipDriver

exNavyOffRec

Good Afternoon,

I'm a prior-enlisted Sailor currently in the process of applying for OCS to be a Surface Warfare Officer (April 2021 Board). Due to COVID-19, the dates have been pushed back and back and I am itching to serve. I was wondering if it's possible for me to enlist in the reserves and start drilling while pursuing my commission. My recruiter said that it's definitely possible, but I don't want to get myself in a situation where I'm stuck in the reserves and they won't let me leave for active duty OCS because I haven't been at the unit long enough etc. Anyone done this before? I'd like to just get in and start serving and I could start drilling in just over a month. If not I could just wait it out, but I'm just afraid I either don't get picked up in April or I end up getting picked up, but don't ship off until late 2021 or even early 2022 (who knows with the virus, etc)

VR

WannaBShipDriver

Don't do it, you will delay your process by months or even years.

BasketballisLife

Good Afternoon,

VR

WannaBShipDriver

To piggyback off what @exNavyOffRec stated, don't do it. I am currently a reservist serving on Active Duty recall orders in Millington. The process is more of a pain because you'll need to request a conditional release (dd368) from PERS 913. However, your NOSC and Reserve unit will have to endorse it first. At that point they'll have to send your DD368 to PERS 913 in Millington. The whole process took me a little over two months to get mine approved by my unit, my NOSC, and PERS. Honestly my process would've taken longer if my O-6 CO hadn't gotten involved. My CO was able to pull some strings and get an Exception to Policy approved for me because my home NOSC and unit was taking so long. Fortunately for me, I had the luxury of working just one building over from PERS 913 coupled with working for an awesome CO. I've seen some people have their conditional releases take upward of 3-4 months as well. I think COVID is slowing things down a bit. You'll be at the mercy of your unit, NOSC, and PERS-913 (three different approving authorities) before you can even drop your application. Just work with the recruiter, it'll be much faster. Requesting a conditional release can take a while because some NOSCs operate at such a slow pace .