• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve EDO dco

hoping some of you may be able to provide some information on the reserve EDO dco program. I have been working with a recruiter for several months. I am currently putting together my application.

i have a few questions:

1.) I have two tattoos that amount to basically a half sleeve on my left arm. They end just above the elbow, my recruiter has told me they are not an issue and do not need a waiver under the new tattoo policy. I have been through MEPS, where pictures and measurements were taken. No apparent issues. I am just curious if this will end up being a problem when I get to drill/DCOIC.

2) can anyone provide insight on how well the program is run with respect to drill weekends. Is it a lot of sitting around? Or are they worth while?

3.) in the EDO community, how well respected are reservists? The reason I ask is that the reserve captain I interviewed with was very supportive/friendly/spoke highly of his experience. The active duty captain I interviewed with seemed to be much tougher on me(which I didn't have an issue with). I just got the sense that he didn't understand why I would want to go reserves. He referred to the fact that I wouldn't get a warfare qualification in a negative way. I understand that he is AD, and likely favors that path. Understandable, it just got me curious about the perception of the NREDO community.

4.) what are the real stats behind mobilizations/ IAs? Recruiter tells me almost not possible, other forums I have read that it's a forgone conclusion. I am not averse to an IA or mobilization. I understand things could change at any minute, but curious what people's perception is of this.

I'm sure I may have more questions/seek some advice as my application process gets further along. Thanks for any insight you all my be able to provide!!

BigRed389

None
hoping some of you may be able to provide some information on the reserve EDO dco program. I have been working with a recruiter for several months. I am currently putting together my application.

i have a few questions:

1.) I have two tattoos that amount to basically a half sleeve on my left arm. They end just above the elbow, my recruiter has told me they are not an issue and do not need a waiver under the new tattoo policy. I have been through MEPS, where pictures and measurements were taken. No apparent issues. I am just curious if this will end up being a problem when I get to drill/DCOIC.

2) can anyone provide insight on how well the program is run with respect to drill weekends. Is it a lot of sitting around? Or are they worth while?

3.) in the EDO community, how well respected are reservists? The reason I ask is that the reserve captain I interviewed with was very supportive/friendly/spoke highly of his experience. The active duty captain I interviewed with seemed to be much tougher on me(which I didn't have an issue with). I just got the sense that he didn't understand why I would want to go reserves. He referred to the fact that I wouldn't get a warfare qualification in a negative way. I understand that he is AD, and likely favors that path. Understandable, it just got me curious about the perception of the NREDO community.

4.) what are the real stats behind mobilizations/ IAs? Recruiter tells me almost not possible, other forums I have read that it's a forgone conclusion. I am not averse to an IA or mobilization. I understand things could change at any minute, but curious what people's perception is of this.

I'm sure I may have more questions/seek some advice as my application process gets further along. Thanks for any insight you all my be able to provide!!

Try sailorbob.com. Yes, it's a SWO site, but EDO's come from SWO/Sub backgrounds, and most of the work EDO's do is to support grey or black floaty or sinky things...meaning you're going to work in support of those guys. There are also a couple of senior AD EDO's who post on there who could give you more insight.
My bet on #3 is it's less about the Active vs Reserve divide, and more about not having a warfare qualification or Fleet experience in the community you'd be supporting.
There is also an Aviation EDO community (AEDO), which supports aviation, and if you were interested in that, you'd find better information on that here.

Try sailorbob.com. Yes, it's a SWO site, but EDO's come from SWO/Sub backgrounds, and most of the work EDO's do is to support grey or black floaty or sinky things...meaning you're going to work in support of those guys. There are also a couple of senior AD EDO's who post on there who could give you more insight.
My bet on #3 is it's less about the Active vs Reserve divide, and more about not having a warfare qualification or Fleet experience in the community you'd be supporting.
There is also an Aviation EDO community (AEDO), which supports aviation, and if you were interested in that, you'd find better information on that here.
Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have talked with a recruiter. He admittedly is not too familiar with the program. I also get the feeling he may be sugarcoating many aspects. I was looking for a more candid view from someone with firsthand experience in the program.

Part of the application process includes interviewing an EDO, actually two of them. Your recruiter might not know the answer but the interviewers can.

Talk to a recruiter.

BigRed389

None
Part of the application process includes interviewing an EDO, actually two of them. Your recruiter might not know the answer but the interviewers can.

Talk to a recruiter.

From his post, it sounds like he already interviewed with both a Reserve and AD O-6 and is looking to follow up on some less than positive feedback from one of those interviews.

I'd say that's fair.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If reserve EDO is anything like other reserve DCO communities, the board is looking for a mix of...
  • 10+ yrs supervisory experience
  • Graduate degree(s) in the field
  • Doing that particular work substantially in your day job (at the level of complexity the Navy needs - not just tangential work)
  • Prior military service
  • Superior GPA
  • Relevant professional certifications
  • Military officer bearing (as reflected in DD-370 and NAVCRUIT 1131/5 forms)
You don't need to check all of those boxes, but you need to check most of them.

Three years ago, I got some pretty clear cut feedback from my first DCO application which made me think "How the heck am I going to achieve that before the next board?" In reality, there are no shortcuts.

Today, I'm only 3 months shy of my MS with a 4.0 GPA. I paid for it out of pocket over 3 years while gaining increasing responsibility in my civilian job and adding a couple professional certifications. Can't say it was easy. But I'll be a better Ensign than 3-year-ago me (if I ever get selected).

Last edited: