• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve DCO - Cold Feet?

Vineosaur 52

Hi All,

I have perhaps an unconventional question (or perhaps not) - has anyone else experienced 'cold feet' after hearing back from the board? Is this a normal reaction at all?

For some background: I started this journey 7 years ago. For a variety of reasons it took several years to get my first package together, which wasn't accepted by the board. I was very dejected (as I'm sure anyone who's had a package rejected by the board can relate to). For a variety of reasons (including recruiter advice) it, again, took a few years for my next package to go the board. This time I was accepted (Intel). What happened next was something I didn't at all expect - instead of being happy I was scared and worried about all the time I'd be away from my family.

Over these 7 years my wife and I had children. We of course discussed what a reserve commitment would mean, and I of course thought about it in terms of being away from my wife and children (mostly the extensive time being away for training and a potential deployment were the worries). However, I'm thinking I perhaps didn't actually internalize what all this change in my personal life meant to me since I started trying to get in, perhaps because I don't think I actually expected to get accepted by the board.

My wife is supportive, so this is all on me. She was as surprised as me about my reaction. Logically I know that if I start and I find its really not for me I only need to serve a minimum of 3 years in SELRES before going into IRR around 2024/2025, depending ... but, honestly, I don't want to think about this in terms of 'minimal' commitments (I certainly didn't spend 7 years of my life trying to get in to do the minimum). My reason for wanting to go into the reserves in the first place was simply to have an opportunity to serve the country in a way that I thought would best utilize my skills and interests, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks all!

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Is this a normal reaction at all?
Look man, it's totally normal. It's no different than the first day of HS or college. There's a fair bit of unknown because it's new. Either jump in feet first (you've done as much prep as you can), or turn it down and realize that you wasted a slot someone else sorely wanted. Very few of us do it for the 'money', esp since the first couple years are break-even at best.

I'm being direct on purpose, because INTEL is way oversubscribed, meaning a number of folks get the 'bad news' phone call, or no phone at all. You've won a small lottery; sign your ticket (commit) and get ready to have a good time.

I'll see you on the other side.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of folks get cold feet when they finally realize a long held goal or dream, given that is has been such a significant goal and the amount of time you have invested at the very least serving your commitment is a no brainer. If you don't you will likely always regret it, wondering 'what if' and being that guy who says "I almost served, but...". Good on your wife for supporting you, many don't have that support and it can hurt in more ways than one.

Vineosaur 52

Thanks both - it's a relief to hear that my reaction isn't abnormal. @fieldrat - Yeah ... I'm acutely aware of how oversubscribed intel is, which made me feel worse about my reaction (after all, I got a rejection my first time around).

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
instead of being happy I was scared and worried about all the time I'd be away from my family.
Normal feelings.

You have 36 months to get qualified as an Intel officer, during which time, you will have a TBH MAS Code, which means you are in a training status and cannot be mobilized. My advice, take every day of the 36 month you are provided. There is no need whatsoever to get it done any faster and you are not going to receive any awards or accolades for getting it done any faster. This will give you time to observe the community among other things. It will also give you time to see how the current POTUS's directive to withdraw U.S. forces from Afghanistan by Sept. 11 impacts Reserve mobilizations.

If you take the full 36 months to get qualified, you'll be an O2/LTJG. By then, I feel you are going to be towards the bottom of the mobilization list due to your Pay Entry Base Date (PEBD). The current range of O2/LTJG Intel officers who have never mobilized -- currently 21 -- have PEBD's ranging from 2005 - 2018.

Don't sweat it because you are not going anywhere for a long time.

Vineosaur 52

@bubblehead - Thanks for the reassurance! The messaging throughout recruiting was expect to mobilize year 3 or 4, but the recruiter did mention that that's more 'career progression' advice.