• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve and NROTC

Hello,

So my question is, can I be in the Navy Reserve and join an NROTC program? I'm currently in community college but will be transferring next fall for Electrical Engineering. I spent 5 years as a Seabee and would love to become an SNA and I would love to do it through NROTC. My current GPA is 3.9 and almost all my prereqs have been completed. I have not been able to find a definitive answer as to if I would be able to join if I'm in the reserves. It has always been my dream to fly for the Navy.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello,

So my question is, can I be in the Navy Reserve and join an NROTC program? I'm currently in community college but will be transferring next fall for Electrical Engineering. I spent 5 years as a Seabee and would love to become an SNA and I would love to do it through NROTC. My current GPA is 3.9 and almost all my prereqs have been completed. I have not been able to find a definitive answer as to if I would be able to join if I'm in the reserves. It has always been my dream to fly for the Navy.

No you can’t do both.

Are you using the GI Bill? Just enjoy college without the NROTC BS and apply for OCS programs when it’s time.

You can also apply for BDCP…

No you can’t do both.

Are you using the GI Bill? Just enjoy college without the NROTC BS and apply for OCS programs when it’s time.

Yes, I am using the GI Bill. Would you say it is makes a big difference for commissioning purpose? Going the OCS route compared to going through NROTC?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello,

No you can’t do both.

FormerRecruitingGuru is correct with a clarification: You cannot be on an NROTC scholarship and be in the reserves. You can be a college program student vying for a scholarship while doing the reserve thing, but if you transfer in as a Sophomore and join the NROTC, you only have 1-year to earn a scholarship.

Recommend you reach out to the NROTC and speak to one of the NROTC advisors (usually a Lieutenant) to see if you are eligible and discuss options. All NROTC students must be on a scholarship (or advanced standing) at the beginning of their Junior year.

BDCP is an option, as well as applying for OCS during your Senior year.