• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Requesting an Application from my Senator

Landonian44

I have done the research and it says to mail your Senators for an application for a nomination to the Academy. I talked to my football coach at school who sent two of his sons there and he said to ask for an application from both Senators (Senator Biden and Carper) and Congressman Castle. There was a sample letter on Senator Carpers website but it seemed pretty dull.
"It is my desire to attend the Naval Academy. I respectfully request that I be considered as one of your nominees for the class entering 2009."

Then it just gives personal data. Should I follow this format exactly or make it somewhat original?

Thanks - Landonian44

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'd say just go with the standard letter. It's professional and the staffer will know exactly what you're talking about.

Make sure you keep the year right... no way are you '09 at any Service Academy.

And yes, apply to all 3 of those sources, AND the Vice President. While unlikely, you might as well throw your hat in the ring, and people might ask at interviews if you did, if for nothing else, I suppose to see if you're serious.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
My senators and rep all had directions on their websites with applications to fill out and send in which were straight forward. Sounds like you don't really have that option. I would focus more on doing what they say and trying not to be too creative. Like DanMav said, it's a staffer handling all this stuff and they've done it thousands of times.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't bother getting crazy-creative with the letter. It's a form thing more than anything else...they're going to make decisions based on interviews (if they do 'em), and your applicaiton package as a whole, rather than that letter.

And anyway, if you get all creative, they might choose to look at it as "this guy can't follow simple directions and he wants to go to a military school?" :D

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
Our state, Idaho, may be simpler than some, since we have a fairly low population. My daughter called all three offices on the phone, introduced herself to the staffer who handles Nominations and asked to have an application package sent to her. We don't do interviews in Idaho so any way to get them to remember you can't hurt, as long as they don't remember you as the idiot who couldn't follow instructions.

Good luck.

PigzFly

I applied to both senators in WA when I was applying for the Academy. As stated by everyone above, its best to use the sample letter. It is what they want to see. Some may send an application package, others may ask you to just send transcripts. Decisions are typically made based on personal interviews though. I was only interviewed by one of the two senators I applied to. I received the nomination from him as well as a Presidential nom (active duty dependents). Always apply for the VP nomination, I did. Like already stated, its can be nothing but positive, not being selected can not hurt.

captain_drewski

pilot
Then it just gives personal data. Should I follow this format exactly or make it somewhat original?
You have received excellent advice so far. I would not deviate from whatever process each politician's office uses. It could end up with you at the bottom of the pile.

Are your parents . . or any close family or family friends 'politically active'? Of course, you have to get all the "x's" checked in all their boxes and meet the 'min quals' . .BUT having an 'in' somewhere in one of the politician's offices is a definite plus. This is, after all, a 'political' appointment.

fishfood

Landonian44,

If you have the time you may want to consider an internship with one of the Senator's regional offices, even if it is for a month or two. The regional office will work with your school schedule. If you show a strong work ethic and competence you may guarantee a recommendation, as long as you are academically qualified. Politicians will reward those who have worked for them.

I worked as a staff assistant for a U.S. Senator in College, now anytime I need a recommendation it is available if I ask.

Remember that each Senator is only allowed a limited number of recommendations, I believe it is 10.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are your parents . . or any close family or family friends 'politically active'?

If so, pictures help...

sheehan_jesse_jackson.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
BUT having an 'in' somewhere in one of the politician's offices is a definite plus. This is, after all, a 'political' appointment.

Everyone always asks if you need an "in" and you definitely do not. I think it's a popular misconception that you somehow need to be "active" with said candidate which is false. I had absolutely no connections/"ins" with any of the people I applied to and had no problems receiving my appointments. Same goes for a lot of my friends who went to the Academy. Do what they ask for the application and when the time comes, demonstrate why they should send you to the Academy.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Landonian44,

If you have the time you may want to consider an internship with one of the Senator's regional offices, even if it is for a month or two. The regional office will work with your school schedule. If you show a strong work ethic and competence you may guarantee a recommendation, as long as you are academically qualified. Politicians will reward those who have worked for them.

I worked as a staff assistant for a U.S. Senator in College, now anytime I need a recommendation it is available if I ask.

Remember that each Senator is only allowed a limited number of recommendations, I believe it is 10.

this might work for any MOC that decide themselves on nominations. but around here, all the MOC's have their Academy Selection Boards which do the actual picking for nominations.

captain_drewski

pilot
I think it's a popular misconception that you somehow need to be "active" with said candidate which is false.

I am simply going by personal experience. My mom was Chairman of the Democrat Town Committee and very active and connected. The Speaker of the House, who grew up with her older brothers offered her an appointment for me when the time came. I was 16, was young, foolish -and had surging hormones and there were no girls at any of the academies in 1959. I told her to tell him, "thanks for the offer, but I want to go to college". About 7 years later I ran into the guy who got that appointment at the BOQ at Whiting Field -and had to laugh at what a dillweed he was.