• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Request for physical denied by Meps and Bumed

Stevenmhk

I've been searching through posts on this website and although I have found a lot of information, I was hoping to get some information more specific to my situation. So here it goes.

I was pro rec'd SNA the beginning of November for the October boards. I hadn't taken my meps physical yet so my recruiter sent my medical information in for a physical request. The request came back denied as a result of my previous medical history and it was suggested that I send my medical paperwork and request up to Bumed. Bumed also came back and denied my physical request with little explanation other than it was due to my previous medical history.
The background information on my medical history is... I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in June 2005. I underwent ABVD chemotherapy from June to December 2005. I had a scan that showed I was completely clear of the cancer in September 2005. I underwent light radiation therapy for a month in February 2006 and have been cancer free and off treatments ever since. I have looked at the Nami aeromedical reference and waiver guide and it states the Hodgkin's Lymphoma is indeed waiverable.
My question is, what to do from here?? I don't know what my options are at this point or where to turn to. I read in another post that it is possible to go to a Naval Hospital and see a flight surgeon instead of going to Meps. If this is true, how would I initiate that? I live about an hour and a half away from NAS Lemoore. My recruiter told me that every officer must go through meps. But he also told me that he did not know much when it comes to the medical side of things. I am also considering contacting my congressman to get his support.
Basically I am willing to do anything to keep my naval aviation hopes alive. Any and all help would be appreciated!!

Thanks for you time,

arianjalali

It's hard to understand why we get dealt a bad hand like that in life sometimes. I suppose this is how we grow and evolve as humans, but it just stinks because more than likely you developed that condition through no fault of your own. I don't know the first thing about what you need to do, but I wish I did so I could set you on your way. As someone else who would give ANYTHING to land a Naval Aviation slot, I can empathize with your situation. What stinks even more is that you were qualified enough in all other areas to be pro-rec'd and now you have this obstacle to deal with! I hope everything works out for you. Best of luck..

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
At the bottom of the Waiver Guide page is contact information for the Physical Standards office. Call them......

yakboyslim

None
Every officer goes through MEPS, but you already did. Not every officer needs to pass MEPS. Now you just need to figure out how to (and if you can) get that waiver. Follow feddoc's advice. You might need to see more doctors and get more tests, but it might be as simple as resubmitting all the right info to the right people.

MEPS failed me, but I got the necessary waivers with just one letter from my home doctor (my situation was probably much easier to waive, though). It is not the end of the road in anyway.

yakboyslim

None
^That might be true. The point I was trying to get across is that for a great deal of people it is not possible to pass MEPS. That he already got the requirement for a physical out of the way and now just needed to address the concerns raised by the physical.