• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Removing front sight taper pins on AR-15?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
2 hours lost in my garage and ruined every kind of steel punch I have!

Is there a secret to removing the front sight taper pins?

CAMike

None
Contributor
I did it once and it was a BEAR! Heat and chill multiple times, then heat and cool with penetrating oil. 40 oz hammer and a hardened 3/16 punch etc.. Still no movement? Use your large vise to press against the smaller side of the pin as you would press out a U Joint from a yoke. The pins and sight frame metals may have bonded slightly. Unless it's a gourmet barrel (Hart or Krieger). If so, I'd defer the job to a gunsmith. I simply don't have the personal fortitude to pummel pieces of art.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I did something similar with an AK a few years ago. Dipped the entire front sight assembly in Break-free (lubricant) overnight, then hammered the pins out with a punch. And yeah, it was not a fun endeavor. Broke two punches and scraped my hand up pretty bad. Not doing that again.
#FML