• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Remember those physiology classes?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1188041.html

This dumb ass is lucky to be alive. I guess he'll remember to preflight his O2 system next time. Lot's of other stuff to Monday morning quarterback here but this is a no brainer. I wonder how long they dicked around at 27k before passing out? If my O2 failed, I would have immediately started descending before trying to troubleshoot.

I love this line: "We were both worried the windshield would blow out. If that happened, we would be dead immediately,"

I will give him credit for flying and landing with a f'up horizontal stabilizer though.

Here's a video of the landing that shows some nice creases in the wings around at about 2:11 minutes.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Time of useful conciousness at 37K is about 18 seconds. I know that from a mishap we had in our squadron.

Anyone know what TOUC at 27K feet is?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I liked this sentence from the article:

"Stone grabbed the throttle and pulled the nose skyward. "

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Time of useful conciousness at 37K is about 18 seconds. I know that from a mishap we had in our squadron.

Anyone know what TOUC at 27K feet is?
Wikipedia says 2.5 to 3 minutes at FL250. It says 0.5 to 1 minutes at FL350 and 15 to 20 seconds at FL400 so it is in the ballpark with your 37k/18seconds.

These guys had time and initiated the depressurization themselves. They should have put a little thought into it.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
I had an pressurization failure in a king air once... take that TOUC and cut it in half... because I will almost garuntee the situation will make you breath deeper and faster.... on the bright side you can take off your seat belt because your ass is so tight it's holding you down to the seat

gtg941f

pilot
anybody know the TOUC at 50K ft. i remember on gulfstream ECS tests that they always warned that the O2 had to be grabbed almost immediately in case of depressurization at that altitude.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
anybody know the TOUC at 50K ft. i remember on gulfstream ECS tests that they always warned that the O2 had to be grabbed almost immediately in case of depressurization at that altitude.

FL500 TUC is 9-12 sec. Im sure there are factors that can make it less.