• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Relocation in Reserves

Squirrel Girl

I tried searching here as well as Google and am not finding any answers.

Right now I am applying for DCO Intel. I am married to Active Duty Air Force. While they are not slated to move at the moment, things can change. If they were to PCS after I was selected, how difficult would it be to change my base? Are there options for paid travel for drill weekends? Thank you!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Have a look at posts and threads containing the words "cross assigned." That's the administrative term that the reserves use that sort of means belonging to two different units- in two different locations and with two different bosses.

There's method to the madness and the concept exists for people in your shoes- typically when your specialty means that the best place for you to be happens to be someplace other than your nearest reserve center. Then you sort of belong to two different units- the one that's for mission stuff and what your actual purpose is in the reserves, and the other for the general stuff that everybody in the military has to do.

But to get started, type these exact two words, cross assigned, into the search box up in the top right. There's a lot of things to read and digest and you'll probably have a few more questions before you're done, but it'll answer a lot of questions too.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
how difficult would it be to change my base? Are there options for paid travel for drill weekends? Thank you!

As an Reserve Officer, you don't get PCS allowances due to "life-events" (changing jobs, etc). If/when you move, you can affiliate to a more local NOSC (to handle your admin/pay, medical/dental stuff). You can either cross-assign, or switch to a more local unit. This is heavily dependent on your designator and what's "near" you. There is not currently paid drill weekend travel for officers unless you are in a billet coded as "CO" or "XO". However, if you have to travel more than 50 miles (from home of record to your assigned NOSC) to perform drill, you can have your lodging paid for (O-4 and under).

Squirrel Girl

As an Reserve Officer, you don't get PCS allowances due to "life-events" (changing jobs, etc). If/when you move, you can affiliate to a more local NOSC (to handle your admin/pay, medical/dental stuff). You can either cross-assign, or switch to a more local unit. This is heavily dependent on your designator and what's "near" you. There is not currently paid drill weekend travel for officers unless you are in a billet coded as "CO" or "XO". However, if you have to travel more than 50 miles (from home of record to your assigned NOSC) to perform drill, you can have your lodging paid for (O-4 and under).

Thank you! Luckily the PCS would be covered by my spouse's orders. Glad to hear at least lodging could be covered.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, as far as I have ever seen, berthing is only a term used on floating gray steel.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Reserve units that are big enough sometimes have a Berthing Coordinator as a collateral duty, to help sailors >50 mi to work with the NOSC.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is not currently paid drill weekend travel for officers unless you are in a billet coded as "CO" or "XO". However, if you have to travel more than 50 miles (from home of record to your assigned NOSC) to perform drill, you can have your lodging paid for (O-4 and under).
This will change. Big Reserves is working to roll out something called IDT-R, whereby you can designate certain billets on the RUAD to be able to fund travel for locally assigned Sailors outside 50 miles. It's designed to let units open the aperture for certain key billets, but it has to be approved for each individual billet.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This will change. Big Reserves is working to roll out something called IDT-R, whereby you can designate certain billets on the RUAD to be able to fund travel for locally assigned Sailors outside 50 miles. It's designed to let units open the aperture for certain key billets, but it has to be approved for each individual billet.

This happens already (without the name). But cool that it is being more broadly socialized. Makes sense in a lot of cases.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Right now I am applying for DCO Intel. I am married to Active Duty Air Force. While they are not slated to move at the moment, things can change. If they were to PCS after I was selected, how difficult would it be to change my base? Are there options for paid travel for drill weekends? Thank you!
Changing your NAVOPSPTCEN is as easy as submitting a TRUIC change. Same for changing units.

Yes, there are options for paid travel for drill weekends. Depends on the unit and where you live.

I would cross that bridge when you get there and do not let it hinder your DCO aspirations.