• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rehack AMEL currency in a Level D sim?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A question for you FAR sea-lawyers ( that's you @HAL Pilot ). Getting a session with a rated IP in the C-17 Level D sim. Can I use this experience to rehack currency in Airplane Multi Engine Land for day and night landings? (3 of each to a full stop + takeoffs).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A question for you FAR sea-lawyers ( that's you @HAL Pilot ). Getting a session with a rated IP in the C-17 Level D sim. Can I use this experience to rehack currency in Airplane Multi Engine Land for day and night landings? (3 of each to a full stop + takeoffs).
I have no clue for part 91. I haven’t thought about it for years as 121 currency is different.
Sorry

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
For Part 121 the applicable FAR is 121.439 (90 day rule and how to maintain or regain your currency in the airplane or in the simulator). I don't know if there is an equivalent reg in Part 91 (or 61, which would be the next place I'd look) for airplane vs high fidelity simulator.

For that matter, I don't recall hearing about any other other general reg that would allow for certain sections from 121 to also apply to flights operated under Part 91 by a regular person (i.e. not an airline repo/mx/other flight). That's not to suggest it doesn't exist, just that I've never heard of it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, for 30+ years I used my airline recurrent training, completed in a level D sim, as my BFR/Flight Review. IF that is legal, then why not the landing currency? We all know once a sim is certified as a level D it can replace all actual airplane training and experience requirements. I have never seen anything that restricts that to Part 121. I don't think I know any airline pilots who went out and got actual BFRs in bug smashers. Then again, I may be a career FAR offender.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
From the book...

(i) A flight simulator or flight training device may be used to meet the flight review requirements of this section subject to the following conditions:

(1) The flight simulator or flight training device must be used in accordance with an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

(2) Unless the flight review is undertaken in a flight simulator that is approved for landings, the applicant must meet the takeoff and landing requirements of § 61.57(a) or § 61.57(b) of this part.

(3) The flight simulator or flight training device used must represent an aircraft or set of aircraft for which the pilot is rated.