• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Regional Airline rankings for transitioning Rotorheads...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
https://theaviatoragent.wordpress.c...nes-for-transitioning-helicopter-pilots-2018/

That is a fairly comprehensive list for those contemplating the transition.

I believe each American Airlines Wholly Owned Regional has a member on this site. I seem to have contacts at most of the companies so if someone is seriously looking into one and would like the gouge before they accept a job offer shoot me a PM and I’ll try to provide an introduction to someone I know working there... except for Mesa of course.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
30 years ago when I was flying commuter stuff in the west Mesa was a ball buster. Not anyone's first choice. Had an FO last week that came from Eagle. She said Mesa has not changed. This list, although specific to helo transition guys, seems to confirm that.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Interesting note in there that SkyWest requires 3500 fixed wing for captain upgrade. I’m a Helo to VT guy, so don’t need the RTP benefits, but do need the CTP stuff and likely have to do some time at a regional if I got non current at the boat. SkyWest was towards the top of my list, but that threw a kink in there.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Interesting note in there that SkyWest requires 3500 fixed wing for captain upgrade. I’m a Helo to VT guy, so don’t need the RTP benefits, but do need the CTP stuff and likely have to do some time at a regional if I got non current at the boat. SkyWest was towards the top of my list, but that threw a kink in there.
What about Envoy? They have a Chicago domicile, right?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yup, and that's the two I'm between at the moment. A lot could change in the intervening time however.

I don’t think that it’s changed yet, but Envoys FOM recently required 1000 121 SIC time and 2500TT for upgrade. They’ve been having trouble finding folks willing to take the upgrade (junior CA gets to sit reserve in LGA) so there’s been talk of getting rid of the 2500TT requirement.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I don’t think that it’s changed yet, but Envoys FOM recently required 1000 121 SIC time and 2500TT for upgrade. They’ve been having trouble finding folks willing to take the upgrade (junior CA gets to sit reserve in LGA) so there’s been talk of getting rid of the 2500TT requirement.

Trying to learn the lingo as I go here, what's FOM?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Actually all part 121 now requires 1000 sic. Reducible to 500 for dual cockpit military, think C-17, C-130, C-2/E-2, etc. we currently have an F-18 type being held up on his B757 upgrade due to this new requirement.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Actually all part 121 now requires 1000 sic. Reducible to 500 for dual cockpit military, think C-17, C-130, C-2/E-2, etc. we currently have an F-18 type being held up on his B757 upgrade due to this new requirement.

That sounds right. Some of the 1000 121 SIC is also able to be exchanged for certain 135/91k flying as well apparently in addition to the 500 multi pilot military fixed wing hours. The 2500TT is apparently waiverable by the company at their convenience.

It may be rare for folks to not have the 1000 121 SIC time at the majors in order to upgrade, it’s actually pretty common at the regionals at the moment. My company publishes a matrix on which hours etc. apply every bid so folks can calculate whether or not they meet the min hours for upgrade.

Yup, and that's the two I'm between at the moment. A lot could change in the intervening time however.

Junior captain award at my company this last permant bid is a dude on property 5 months. There are a lot of opportunities for folks to get in, build time, upgrade and move on. In this environment I’d personally be hesitant to recommend someone go to a regional where they can’t upgrade to Captain in 12-18 months (assuming thet need the full 1000hrs 121 SIC time) especially when they’re a military transition pilot. Some folks (read: purely GA piston pilots) may need to see 3 full years of all weather operations and to grow their own go/no go decision making abilities but typically folks with military flight experience have already been exposed to much of that and their transition is just learning airline specific stuff.