• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reenlistment question

USMC Brian

Greetings everyone,

I am an 0481 currently in the process of reenlisting into the Reserves (after a five year initial AD contract and I drilled previously for the better part of the remainder of my initial eight). I am looking to return to AD (as civilian jobs suck) for the remainder of my career and I need a little advice. I tried to submit a PSEP (prior service enlistment) package at the beginning of this CY, but by the time my package was together, they said they were no longer accepting PSEP packages as all the boat spaces were full. So I instead reenlisted into the reserves. I have two options to return to AD. I can take an AR contract (most likely doing INI duty followed by a B billet later) in the new FY, or I can try again to PSEP beginning in the new CY (this time I will have my package ready to submit 1 Jan 13). According to the MARADMIN the Marine Corps will accept PSEP packages (including from the SMCR) for a certain list of MOSs. One I am very interested in is 7236 Tactical Air Defense Controller, which they list as a high deploying MOS and stress the need to retain Marines in. I have a B.S. degree in hand with a minor in ATC which would prove helpful for this MOS.

I would much rather return to regular AD under the new MOS (which is accepting Lat Moves according to a different MARADMIN), but I cannot risk not getting the contract. The AR contract is a little more certain, but them i'm stuck there until the middle of my career and hopefully the Marine Corps will let me reenlist back to a regular AD contract then (as in hopefully the down size is complete and the atmosphere for reenlistment is better).

So my question is, do I have a decent chance of getting accepted back into a regular contract doing a job I would enjoy, or should I just take the AR contract and be happy with what I have?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you have a BS degree, why not contact an Officer recruiter and see if you can go th at route?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I did. Similar story, need an age waiver, no more open billets this year, etc. etc. Didn't sound promising.
This FY year ends soon. plus if you don't apply, you can't get accepted. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

I also believe different OSOs might have different quotas. Try contacting another one.

This FY year ends soon. plus if you don't apply, you can't get accepted. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

I also believe different OSOs might have different quotas. Try contacting another one.

One thing that I have learned in my time in is that most of the time people rely on word of mouth for their information. USMC Brian, whoever told you that there weren't any openings may have been correct, but there's a good possibility that he was just operating off of what he was told from his peers. It's always worth putting in the paperwork to apply, even if you're told that there's no hope.

We can't really tell you what to do, because we would need to know all sorts of personal details about you to give you advice. If you really need to get back in active duty, you should take what is available.

exNavyOffRec

We were getting the same story from guys in my area that were coming to us to apply for USN SNA, after getting a "sorry" from the local OSO, we called and they told us no openings in sight, these guys that came to us were not average guys, high ASTB's, physically fit, the guy I submitted that was picked up on the last board had a 3.5 engineering degree, and 8's on PFAR, I believe the OSO told me he max'd his PFT but on the USN side we don't need that info.

DeShaun F.

I did. Similar story, need an age waiver, no more open billets this year, etc. etc. Didn't sound promising.
I had the same issue because I have a bachelor degree and contacted and OSO and I was told I needed an age waiver, and they made it seem like it would take a miracle to get one, so I am just going to reenlist